diy solar

diy solar

Adding a 2nd Grid Tie inverter and PV array, what issues arise?

Cooperstock

Hello,
I did some searches and couldn't find anything on adding another grid tie system, so if there are answers already out there please point me to them.

I would like to add a 2nd grid tie system to an existing grid tied panel. We have a SMA Sunny Boy 5kw system presently. I would like to add 10kw more, preferably through a 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) inverter.
I was looking at adding another SMA Sunny boy 5kw, but also saw the Enphase micro inverters IQ7+.
Are two independent inverters capable of providing power without conflicting or causing one-or-the-other to shut down?

It seems like if one unit is making slightly higher voltage to provide power, won't the new GTI see that voltage and try to go higher, and they go back and forth?

Thank you!

I did some searches and couldn't find anything on adding another grid tie system,
The biggest issue is getting permission from your utility. That will also depend on where you are located. I have 23 Micros and they have no problem working with a hybrid inverter which I subsequently installed. In my case they are all UL 1741 SA compliant so there are no compatability issues.

Back