diy solar

diy solar

adding a 320w panel to a 160w system

The Wanderer was tested with a 12v nominal panel-your 320 is not 12v nominal. A PWM will give you 9 amps charging with it-an MPPT over 20amps charging...

Sorry you've confused me.

The wanderer is 30a to charge 12v system (360w) it will also accept up to a max input 400w from the solar panel which in my case will be a 320w.

Current Rating:30A
Maximum Input Power:400W
System Voltage:12 VDC
Product Type:Regulators
Current Type:DC
Maximum Input Voltage:30A
Power Source:Solar
Type:Solar Charge Controller
Features:LED Indicator, USB Port
MPN:RNG-CTRL-WND30-LI-UK
Brand:Renogy
Application:Back-up Power, Camping/Hiking, Home/Garden
Charging Mode: PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)

The solar panel spec is

Watt:320WpMax Snow Load5400Pa , 112lb/ft2
Max Voltage Vmp32.76VCell Size156x156mm
Nominal Current Imp9.77ANumber of cells60
Open Circuit Volts40.60VFrameAnodised Aluminium Frame.
Short Circuit Amps10.23ADiode Junction BoxIP67
Module Efficiency 19.19%Length1664mm
Max System Volts1000VDCWidth1002mm
Power Tolerance0 , + 3WattHeight35mm, Weight: 18kg
Max Series Fuse15AWarranty:25 years
Operating Temp:-40 oC to 85oCModule Cables4mm2 with MC4

I don't see this issue?

thanks

Lee

See where your panel specs say "Nominal current Imp-9.77A"
That is the max any PWM will give you. Your panel is 32.76v, an MPPT controller will convert that higher voltage into useable amps-PWM cannot...

hi guys

To cut a long story short I'm keeping my 160w panel setup as is, buying a new 320w panel and I am now thinking of getting rid of my inverter and having it housed in the same room as the battery.

For the 320w panel I was thinking of this MPPT and inverter all in one, will this work?

I can leave my 160w setup as is and then use this on top to do the charge from the 320w and replace the inverter.

Btw do you know if these units can be noisy as im trying to avoid that?

thanks

Lee

That unit will fit with your new panel. Since it differentiates between PWM and MPPT models, it does appear to be a real MPPT solar charge controller.

Is it noisy? Some are, some aren't. There are posts here on the forum of all-in-ones that have a fan that gets annoyingly loud.

I don't trust it to be a MPPT solar controller......, the specifications are all over the map....Voc at 21.6v does not fit your panel.....
s-l1600.jpg

Hi

I've since purchased a 320w panel and a mppt inverter all in one which arrives Thursday from Voltacon and they was very helpful in purchasing

Thanks

Lee

Thanks, I just need one that isn't expensive and does the job really.
There is no free lunch! You've already purchased one cheap controller that you're looking to replace. How much money are you going to throw away before purchasing a decent SCC?

I added 300 watts ($290) to our 170 watt panel and did not have the time to add a second set of cables from the roof to the SCC, because I'd already spent 2 hours traveling to by aluminum, >5 hours fabricating the aluminum roof brackets, >2 hours prepping the roof, >3 hours mounting the panels, a couple of hours rewiring the manufacturers cheap solar wiring (no breakers to the SCC and no breaker out of the SCC), and easily more hours involved. Plus, I'd already spent easily >$150 on proper UV 10 awg wires, breakers, MC4 connectors, and on and on and on.

So I'm NOT going to waste my time invested just to spend money on a cheap controller! I had previously purchased/installed a second Victron 100/20 controller for a portable and found the bus too small for 10 awg wires, but Victron's bluetooth capability and history collection were great. For all that work and expense in the previous paragraph a Victron 100/30 was purchased since it has a proper size bus for 10 awg wires, to replace the cheap GoPower PWM SCC that had no history.

There are good SCC's (Victron, Renogy, etc) and then there is cheap stuff that doesn't work as planned. Spend the money and get something recommended here, since "There is no free lunch!"

Enjoy,

Perry

For a basic setup I think it's hard to beat the Epever units with the cast metal body, I think they're the BN series. I had one in my van for years that took tons of abuse and just kept ticking. Reasonable prices and well built

Don't bottom feed, you'll just spend a lot more money in the long run.

the mppt controller instructions says it's mppt pwm mode
Epever says that on some labeling. It’s pwm until volts from panel get high enough, then it runs the mppt algorithm. If it’s cloudy or early in the day and only 12 or 13V is possible it functions pwm because it can’t make 14.3V from 13V. Once sun rises a bit panel input will show VOC at ‘x’ Amps and battery input at 12/13/14+Volts and roughly VOC/13*x for amps (that’s not science- that’s a bad way of making a hopeful guess btw; that’s not a real formula for anything it just sometimes sorta works to guess so please don’t shoot me:))

But it appears you’ve already bought with money and not information. Why ask if you ain’t gonna listen to folks? Often the long dollar costs way less than a lower price.

Last edited:
Back