diy solar

diy solar

Adding ac output power wire to my mpp solar PIP 3048LV-MK

Joearrivi

I want to put a Nema wire and ss2 50 p plug on my ac output of my mpp solar pip 3048lv-mk. How would I go about doing this in the most cost effective and easiest way? Looks like there are 3 wires on the ac output. Was thing 8-3 wire?

This question is very unclear to me. It appears that the plug you are referring to is actually for generator input, NOT output?
1653510719987.png
Are you actually talking about a standard NEMA socket like this one? Is this supposed to be 120V or 240V? What is the actual purpose of this socket. It it is actually going to handle 50A, then 8 gauge is a little bit light. 6 gauge would be better. Why 50A? A 3000W inverter would put out a max of 25A at 120VAC?
1653510962600.png

Voice to text mistyped. I meant to say the cabin is off grid and only source of power to the main panel is to a 50 amp plug similar to the picture you just posted. I don't want to go into the wall and rewire anything to the panel I would like to use existing 50 amp plug to just run a wire from the inverter to plug into

Here's a picture for reference. I'm moving that 50 amp plug on the inside of the cabin so the inverter can plug into it. Until I get the inverter wired up I will plug my bluetti 200 to power lighter loads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220317-232130_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220317-232130_Gallery.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 7
Easiest option is to buy a pre-made generator cord, and wire it to your inverter.

I was thinking of cutting a cord but don't know if there are three wires on inside the cord to wire up to the three wires on the inverter AC output? Basically I want to make a pigtail that will plug into that 50 amp. Can't find anything short enough and everything is expensive in commercial rv cords

An electrical supply house can sell you a matching plug, and a length of SO cable. Or, you can get it online.

Thank you that's a great solution. I might even have some 8-3 SO wire laying around. I think at that point I would just need a locking plug or for them to put a plug on the end of that wire?

They probably wouldn't. But, they'll be happy to sell the plug to you. Take the model number of what you have. And a picture could help.

Do you already have grid-power at the electrical panel? Or is the panel cold, waiting for a connection?

The proper way to do this is if the panel is cold is to remove the front cover from the electrical panel and run run wires from L1, L2, and N of your inverter to the main mounting lugs of your breaker strings.

If the panel is hot already with grid-power, but you want to selectively replace the grid with inverter power, then you need to wire a transfer switch inbetween the inverter and the panel.

Do you already have grid-power at the electrical panel? Or is the panel cold, waiting for a connection?

The proper way to do this is if the panel is cold is to remove the front cover from the electrical panel and run run wires from L1, L2, and N of your inverter to the main mounting lugs of your breaker strings.

If the panel is hot already with grid-power, but you want to selectively replace the grid with inverter power, then you need to wire a transfer switch inbetween the inverter and the panel.
The panel is cold. I am completely off grid. I have a 50 amp plug in that is connected directly to the main breaker on my main panel. I'm basically set up just like an RV

The panel is cold. I am completely off grid. I have a 50 amp plug in that is connected directly to the main breaker on my main panel. I'm basically set up just like an RV
What I would do is disconnect the 50A socket from the main panel, and lead the ACout wires of your inverter directly to the main panel connection lugs L1, L2,N, & G. Does you inverter have ACin terminals? If yes, I would re-route the 50A socket wiring to ACin, and use that for generator charging.

Alternatively, if your inverter does not have ACin terminals, route the 50A socket through a transfer switch, so you may toggle between inverter power and generator power at your chosing. You MUST have a transfer switch or an either/or toggle switch so that generator power and inverter power can never mix.

What I would do is disconnect the 50A socket from the main panel, and lead the ACout wires of your inverter directly to the main panel connection lugs L1, L2,N, & G. Does you inverter have ACin terminals? If yes, I would re-route the 50A socket wiring to ACin, and use that for generator charging.

Alternatively, if your inverter does not have ACin terminals, route the 50A socket through a transfer switch, so you may toggle between inverter power and generator power at your chosing. You MUST have a transfer switch or an either/or toggle switch so that generator power and inverter power can never mix.
Thanks but the reason for me wanting at a 50 amp is so I have different power options to be able to connect to that same 50 amp input to my main panel, if by any chance my inverter went down or I have to hook up my backup portable sogen or regular generator. Plus it's already set up that way and I didn't want to go take anything apart. I'd rather just plug in to how it's set up currently and have the ability with system swapping out as well as things changing from different sources if need be. in the meantime I'll be using my portable solar generator running until inverter is set up.

Back