diy solar

diy solar

adding another inverter for constant loads

bin

I'm looking at buying a Victron Phoenix 1200va 48v inverter to run 24/7, as my current 12KW Growatt inverters' idle consumption is quite high.
I want the Phoenix just for my fridge and TVs etc. and the idle consumption is incredibly low, but it doesn't have enough power to run my larger loads (Wood Planers, Saws, etc.)

My question is: Can I use my Growatt as simply a charge controller (The Growatts MPPT kicks on and charges the batteries regardless of it being "on" as an inverter.) and a Phoenix as my main 24/7 inverter, but switch the Growatt on when I'm working with larger equipment?

Would I just connect the two inverters to my batteries via Bus Bars?

Should work, have you got it figured out how to handle the A/C side of things. You will be to disconnect one BEFORE connecting the other. Manual, ATS, or pass through? I don’t think I have tried pass through growatt in the off mode.

Should work, have you got it figured out how to handle the A/C side of things. You will be to disconnect one BEFORE connecting the other. Manual, ATS, or pass through? I don’t think I have tried pass through growatt in the off mode.
pass thru would work but then i couldn't connect a generator to charge batteries if need be.
Perhaps 1 sub panel per inverter connected to the mains?

I'll need to think it thru.

would everything blow up if both were connected to the same breaker on my main distribution panel?

A 12000 watt inverter is likely 12/240VAC where as the tiny Victron will be 120VAC.

would everything blow up if both were connected to the same breaker on my main distribution panel?
Yes. You'd basically be paralleling the inverters at that point and without the communication and programming between them to keep the AC wafe form in sync it can result in "Very Bad Things" happening.

My question is: Can I use my Growatt as simply a charge controller (The Growatts MPPT kicks on and charges the batteries regardless of it being "on" as an inverter.) and a Phoenix as my main 24/7 inverter, but switch the Growatt on when I'm working with larger equipment?

Would I just connect the two inverters to my batteries via Bus Bars?

Yes, the INPUT from the batteries doesn't care and the Growatt will charge the batteries when turned off. The OUTPUT has to be synchronized though so you either have to use compatible units OR have the larger Growatt feeding a separate AC panel that isn't connected to the Victron's output.

Yes. You'd basically be paralleling the inverters at that point and without the communication and programming between them to keep the AC wafe form in sync it can result in "Very Bad Things" happening.

Yes, the INPUT from the batteries doesn't care and the Growatt will charge the batteries when turned off. The OUTPUT has to be synchronized though so you either have to use compatible units OR have the larger Growatt feeding a separate AC panel that isn't connected to the Victron's output.
Something like this oughta work?

I will consult my electrician friend before touching any of the A/C side given the risk.

Yes, something like that would work fine, you'd just have the momentary power drop when your AC sources are "between legs" on the switch which should only mean your coffee maker and microwave forget what time it is.

Reactions: bin
So what happens to the idle draw on the Growatt when you're not using the inverter? Does it go way down? You need to verify that before moving forward with the plan or you'll just have increased draw, not less.

So what happens to the idle draw on the Growatt when you're not using the inverter? Does it go way down? You need to verify that before moving forward with the plan or you'll just have increased draw, not less.
When its just charging there's no power consumed by the Growatt. So going from 150w idle consumption down to like 10w or 3w in eco on the Phoenix.

Back