diy solar

diy solar

Adding battery back up to complicated system

wklopf

I am looking to add battery backup to an exixting, rather complicated system. At about Y2K, I purchased a PTO driven generator as backup ahd had a local eleictirian install a manual transfer switch. I now have a an engine-driven 12 KW, 9.5 KW continuous output generator. It does not have auto start. In 2011, we had a 7.4 KW solar system installed which used Enphase microinverters. Our utility required an outside disconnect to isolate the solar array in case of a power outage. Two years ago, we installed another 7.4 KW system, this time using SolarEdge. The electricians combined these in a box in the basement, with that output going to that outside isolation switch. To this I would like to add batteries and an appropriate inverter. I should add that our heat is from a ground-source heat pump. This draws 5.8 KW when running, so I am thinking of an inverter of about 10 KW. Since there are already two manual switches in the system, I'm thinking that automatic switching isn't needed. I have looked at the Aims 48 VDC, 10000 watt unit. I would envision having the battery inverter off until needed. How far off base am I?

Back