diy solar

diy solar

Adding battery backup to SolarEdge

Blind Ambition

I have a SolarEdge HD Wave inverter with a 9 Kwt pv system attached. Is it possible to add a EG4 battery backup system to the solar inverter.

What model of the SolarEdge HD Wave do you have? The models I saw with a quick search don't seem to have charging capability for a battery, so you'd probably need to add a dedicated solar controller to your system in order to charge the battery bank.

I have a SolarEdge HD Wave inverter with a 9 Kwt pv system attached. Is it possible to add a EG4 battery backup system to the solar inverter.
If the EG4 battery backup system includes a hybrid inverter which can AC couple you probably can. I had an HD Wave inverter AC coupled to my Outback Skybox. The HD Wave is a GT or grid dependent inverter. It needs the grid or a hybrid inverter capable of forming a grid and controlling the output of a GT inverter. As far as I know there is no way to connect just a battery to an HD Wave inverter. Solaredge makes a Storedge inverte that can connect to batteries and I heard rumors there was going to be a module that could convert an HD Wave to function like a Storedge.

you'd probably need to add a dedicated solar controller to your system in order to charge the battery bank.
I am not sure a solar controller would be compatible with the Optimizers typically found on a Solaredge system. You would lose the GT capability of the HD Wave if you connected the solar controller to the solar panels and a battery. You would be left with batteries and no inverter to run off the batteries because the HD Wave does not have any DC input other than what it expects from the high voltage string with Optimizers.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I could not find any information in tying a battery backup to the hd wave. I think my best get is to put a separate inverter charger and connect it to my electrical panel with the proper breaker and shutoff for the main breaker. This will be a manual switch over, but that is fine with me.

Most hybrids contain automatic transfer switches. Find a hybrid that is capable of AC coupling and you can the get the benefit of your GT inverter production when grid is down.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I could not find any information in tying a battery backup to the hd wave. I think my best get is to put a separate inverter charger and connect it to my electrical panel with the proper breaker and shutoff for the main breaker. This will be a manual switch over, but that is fine with me.
How did this turn out for you? I am getting a SolarEdge System installed on Mon Nov 7. I would like to use the EG4 system also. Did you A/C couple?

I am interested to hear how this turned out also! I have a GT SolarEdge SE10000a that ties in at the mains just before my home breaker panel. I guess if I installed a hybrid inverter, it would have a Grid L1 and L2 and I would move Solar L1 and L2 to a "Solar" input on the hybrid? The inverter would disconnect the grid connection (to prevent back feeding to utility lines) until the utility comes back online?

The only system I've seen to add batteries to a solarEdge system that wasn't their proprietary 400v solarstore system is using a solark.

and by add batteries to the system, I mean, install an entire second inverter system and use it to run the house instead of the solaredge.

SolarEdge is a closed environment line of products.
Want batteries? You have to buy theirs.

The only system I've seen to add batteries to a solarEdge system that wasn't their proprietary 400v solarstore system is using a solark.
I added batteries to a SolarEdge GT inverter the same way it was presumably done using a SolArk. That process was probably AC coupling and and as noted takes a hybrid inverter to be the grid forming inverter to allow a GT inverter to operate when the grid is not present. I did it with an Outback Skybox and AC coupled to a SolarEdge and Enphase micros.

Back