diy solar

diy solar

Adding Bluetooth and Low Temp cutoff to drop in battery

IDMT

I'm getting a drop in Lithium battery for my camper that does not have Low temp cut off -- I already have an Ali Battery monitor - my question is:

Is there a way to add both Bluetooh battery monitoring or system monitoring in conjunction with Low Temp protection ???

I have found a couple of options but it takes 2 - 3 parts to get what I would like - or other than going to Victron units???

Yeah I’ve never seen an easy way to add those options unless offered by the company that sells the drop in battery. What options have you already found besides victron?

What do you want to monitor with Bluetooth? You won’t be able to monitor the individual cell voltages, that’s at the BMS level. Are you going to use a solar charge controller? That could give you Bluetooth readings…

I've wondered something similar myself every time I see a teardown of one of the Chins/Ampertime/Zooms/Etc batteries. What would happen if you soldered a temp probe on the bare terminals and plugged a BT module into the empty socket? Could you "turn on" the low temp protection?

Is there a way to add both Bluetooh battery monitoring or system monitoring in conjunction with Low Temp protection ???
Unless you will be in very cold locations the battery can be used safely to power loads, down to -20C.
You can charge down to 0C at modest current or down to -10C at very low currents with most cell types.
If you need automatic disable of charge then the most simple is to use one or more mechanical thermostats or similar to disable the chargers or charge path.
I use these in the UK

If Bluetooth is important then the Victron Smart Shunt with probe is ideal for monitoring. However thus will not offer control.
A BMV 712 has an a built in relay to control external circuits.
Mike

Last edited:
Back