diy solar

diy solar

Adding capacity - LTO and LiFePO4 storage

thedodgersonline

Hi
Now we have chemistry that is delivering crazy lifecycle (LTO with 20000 cycles) what are everyone’s thoughts on adding capacity during the early to mid point of the battery lifecycle. Possible or not?
Regards

I have no problem with it I figure Im never using all the cycles anyhow. even if you have it for 5 years thats only 1500 cycles so thats less than 10% cycle life used up adding more shouldn't hurt anything.

When Will reviewed the LTO he pointed out that the storage efficiency is horrible. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think he said you only get out ~75%-80% of what you put in. That is a show stopper for most of the builds I do.

When Will reviewed the LTO he pointed out that the storage efficiency is horrible. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think he said you only get out ~75%-80% of what you put in. That is a show stopper for most of the builds I do.
This may be true but adding 1 panel in most systems solves that problem. LTO is not for every system but has great value if you have cold weather issues. How much energy is wasted if you can not charge because it's too cold or if you need to use heating pads?

Back