diy solar

diy solar

Adding charging from tow vehicle alternator to MPP Solar PIP 1012

seagirl_mass

I'd like to add the capability to charge my 100Amp LiFePO4 battery from my tow vehicle (a Honda passport) when off grid and solar isn't enough. Is it possible to add a DC-DC charger to MPP Solar's PIP 1012? Photo below of my system in my 15ft travel trailer (300 watts of solar on roof). Thank you for any advice or suggestions. IMG_9792.JPGIMG_9791.JPG

I'd like to add the capability to charge my 100Amp LiFePO4 battery from my tow vehicle (a Honda passport) when off grid and solar isn't enough. Is it possible to add a DC-DC charger to MPP Solar's PIP 1012? Photo below of my system in my 15ft travel trailer (300 watts of solar on roof). Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

No. You just add it directly to the battery terminals from the alternator input. Victron Orion and REnogy have lots of solutions.

No. You just add it directly to the battery terminals from the alternator input. Victron Orion and REnogy have lots of solutions.
Thank you, I was thinking that might be the case. Could the the 1012 continue charging simultaneously or would I need to install a switch to disconnect the solar? I'm considering the renogy 12V 20A but will also check out the others.

Thank you, I was thinking that might be the case. Could the the 1012 continue charging simultaneously or would I need to install a switch to disconnect the solar? I'm considering the renogy 12V 20A but will also check out the others.

Yes. You can connect any number or charging sources provided they are:

1) Properly configured to charge the battery properly.
2) The sum of current of all chargers attached do not exceed the limits of the battery or BMS.

Benefit is only experienced in the "bulk" phase. Once absorption voltage is achieved, the lower current chargers will typically fall to 0A and the strongest charger will finish the charge.

So adding alternator charging IS possible?
Just wire in the DC-DC charger between the alternator and the second battery?

If that's all it takes, I'm as good as sold on the 1012. (y)

Back