diy solar

diy solar

Adding mis-matched panels in series?

What size wire are you using? Probably a 30a on that guy and don't bother with the 10a PWM fuse unless you're using really, REALLY skinny wire. The fuse is there to melt BEFORE the wire does.

What size wire are you using? Probably a 30a on that guy and don't bother with the 10a PWM fuse unless you're using really, REALLY skinny wire. The fuse is there to melt BEFORE the wire does.
Thanks Rednecktec! I am using the 10 gauge wire that came with my original Renogy kit. I will order just the 30A fuse for my MPPT controller, thank you!

All done! I added the fuse, installed my new AmpereTime 100A Lithium battery and wow!! What a big difference from my two old deep cycle lead acid batteries. With a low to medium load the voltage stays over 13 for a long time even with the panels turned off. With my (3) 100watt panels in series I am putting out around 68v and charging the battery at 15 amps. I also added a AiLi Qwork battery capacity meter to a custom battery box I installed inside my workshop. With the panels on and sun shining I can run my 8,000 BTU Midea window a/c with very little drop of voltage and charge level. I have a question on Lithium battery health. Unless I am in the shop running the a/c, the daily draw on the battery will be be very small. Should I turn off the panels after it reaches 100% charge and let it draw down to say 20% capacity over several days before recharging, or just leave the panels on full time so every day it maintains full charge? Which is better for Lithium longevity? Thanks!

Last edited:
just leave the panels on full time so every day it maintains full charge? Which is better for Lithium longevity?
Leave it on.
Maybe lower “full” voltage to a tad under? Some say lighter cycles stretch LiFePo lifespan while others say that’s barnyard pudding.

Not sure I can change that, the Renogy Elite 20A controller has its preset Lithium parameters, and the AmpereTime battery has its own BMS that I cant change.

the Renogy Elite 20A controller has its preset Lithium parameters,
Do you know what these are? Particularly boost/bulk and float?

Its pretty common to take most of the standard lithium settings and enter them into a "user defined" preset with changes to bulk and float. A lot of folks here use less aggressive settings for various reasons: battery longevity, safer float for storage, work around misbehaving cells ...

From the Renogy manual it looks like I can only change the boost parameter. It is preset at 14.4
My manual for the AmpereTime battery suggests boost to 13.8 so I should go ahead and make that change?

My manual for the AmpereTime battery suggests boost to 13.8 so I should go ahead and make that change?
Mfgr is best to follow.
What is the float? Does it change when you change boost?

FWIW, 13.8V is what I charge to for my prismatic cell batteries.

Float for the Ampertime Battery is also suggested at 13.8 but it is not a change I can make according to the Renogy manual.

I changed the boost to 13.8 that’s all that I can do on the Renogy.
I am a little surprised that there isn’t a “user” battery profile that can be fully customized.
But it sounds like you have at least a good boost voltage to match your battery makers recommendations.

Back