diy solar

diy solar

Adding more panels to my setup, odd number of panels

martan

Hello
I'm currently using 8 12V panels, where 4 of them are connected to create 48V array, so total 2x48V in parallel.
I think I might have enough space to add 2 more panels, so here is my question. Can I just add 1 of the each new panels to my 48V array, so I'll have 2 arrays at 60V ? My controller is MPPT and will handle up to 150V input. Will it use efficiently all the power form those 2x5 panel arrays?
I think the answer is yes, but I have never went with odd number, I always had it wired either as 12, 24 or 48V, first time would be going with 5x12V panel in one array.

Not one mention of panel watts???

4 x "12V" panels in series is Not 48V

So 5 x so called12V panels in Series is Not 60V.
What brand is your MPPT and Amps???

No panel Watts and no Amps on the SCC and you want a decent answer?
Just weird that you call a panel 12V and omit the watts.

Probably about 18Vmp and about 22Voc so multiply by 5 and ok on a 150V SCC.

Not one mention of panel watts???

4 x "12V" panels in series is Not 48V

So 5 x so called12V panels in Series is Not 60V.
What brand is your MPPT and Amps???

No panel Watts and no Amps on the SCC and you want a decent answer?
Just weird that you call a panel 12V and omit the watts.

Probably about 18Vmp and about 22Voc so multiply by 5 and ok on a 150V SCC.
Wattage doesn't matter in this scenario, 100W, 150, or 200W, controller will handle it, they are all the same wattage, same brand same model. These happen to be 200W panels. Controller will charge up to 60A, if it gets more power, it will just cap it at 60A, so I'm not worried. The brand is MS MPPT60 from MorningStar Solar.
VoC is 21.86V on the panel, so for 5 panels it comes out as 109.3V.
The only reason I posted this is that I was always used to wiring everything in even numbers and it got stuck with me. Now going with 5 panels per array seems weird but I don't see a reason it shouldn't work.

Wattage doesn't matter in this scenario, 100W, 150, or 200W, controller will handle it, they are all the same wattage, same brand same model. These happen to be 200W panels. Controller will charge up to 60A, if it gets more power, it will just cap it at 60A, so I'm not worried. The brand is MS MPPT60 from MorningStar Solar.
The only reason I posted this is that I was always used to wiring everything in even numbers and it got stuck with me. Now going with 5 panels per array seems weird but I don't see a reason it shouldn't work.
What voltage battery?
Yep.
About 110Voc is way less than 150V even with cold temp compensation.
18Vmp x 5 is 90Vmp so is that within the SCC MPPT range?

Mostly true, but some controllers cannot handle full amperage continuously, so look over the max panel watt specs they have.

Code regulates what is what. 33% is code. Not going to argue. if it says 100 amps it has to handle 133 amps according to code. this is not pass through. this is max incoming.

I'm not aware of any codes that regulate what a charge controller rating can output...

Back