diy solar

diy solar

Adding new Daly-BMS battery in parallel with 2: which wire to connect last?

rickst29

Solar Enthusiast
Hi.

I will shortly be building a 120Ah, 12.8v LiFePO4 battery pack. I am unsure which "main" connector terminal to connect last (although I think that it should be "12V" battery lug and connector into the terminal into the "12V" Bus with two batteries already present.) Is it correct to do connections in this order?

On the grounding side, I have frame grounding (and the Travel Trailer can be connected to a 120V socket to assure that "frame ground" is shared with earth ground, via the green grounding wire and the household 1-phase 120/240 power panel.)

(Step 1): Because the battery might be slightly "floating" from true ground, I plan to temporarily connect the new battery Ground into the Grounding Bus, before even connecting Daly's big blue Blue "Bat -" into the grounding terminal of the new battery;

(Step 2): Connect Daly's Blue "Bat -" to the new battery grounding lug;

(Step 3) Connect 5 balancing and sensing wires into the cells (but not yet into the Daly);

(Step 4) Verify zero ohms between Daly's "Bat - " and Daly's "P -". (I think that drains any potential within the Daly, by allowing very small current through a resistor within the DVM - rather than suddenly shorting the two leads. I've read warnings not to do that, although it's widely done here to restart those BMS units.)

Step 5) Connect Daly's "P -" into the common grounding lug of the 3 batteries, and disconnect the temporary "common" grounding wire.

Step 6) Plug in Daly's connector (for sensing and balancing wires). It should now activate (I hope).

Step 7) Only now plug in my main "Battery +" terminal to the "12v" bus. (That is). Whether the battery experiences a bit of "charging" or "discharging" should not matter very much, after I have the 3 batteries very close in total voltage.

Does this sound about right?

Back