diy solar

diy solar

Adding one more panel

Okay, good to have some real world experience with this. Granted it is probably a LOT easier to push the company's SCC to 130% than pushing your own personal SCC.
So you recommend 520W x 1.3 = 676W as "safe"? Asking for a friend.

Honestly I would see nothing wrong with those numbers -- as long as it doesn't exceed the voltage at all ... the SCC can dump the additional wattage as heat into the heatsink ... but the additional voltage would just fry mosfets etc .....

Okay, good to have some real world experience with this. Granted it is probably a LOT easier to push the company's SCC to 130% than pushing your own personal SCC.
So you recommend 520W x 1.3 = 676W as "safe"? Asking for a friend.

Ok, help me out here, according to the chart below, my Tracer4210BN can handle a maximum PV, (input?), power of 3120 watts at 24 volts,
I push the BN right up to 130V with NO issues ... the only concern is that at 149 it will work all day -- and at 151 it lets out the "Factory Smoke" .. i kid you not ... NOW I will never exceed the voltage --BUT the suggested watt/amp is something i play wiht all the time -- usually pushing the 130% level ... Still pisses me off though that they do not make their lugs big enough to fit REAL cables ...

Point well taken regarding 151 volts being game over.

The 4215BN 6 gauge wire connector allows for the maximum wire size which matches the maximum 40A PV current input specifications.

Either way, the 4215BN while not a massive amperage capable SCC, is a reliable and relatively simple starter/learner unit and does manage to produce a substantial amount bit of PV production.

Peace

Agreed. The math with the volt and amp limits does not match.

Unless you are willing to roll the dice, or get definitive answers from someone in the know, you really gotta contact the manufacturer.
https://www.epsolarpv.com/contact.html
BEIJING EPEVER TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
Add:BLDG#18,CO.PARK,NO.8HEYING ROAD,CHANGPINGDISTRICT,BEIJING,CHINA.102200.
Tel:+86-10-82894112
Fax:+86-10-82894882
E-mail:info@epsolarpv.com
marketing@epsolarpv.com
support@epsolarpv.com

Final answer.
I found a support email for the manufacturer and asked to explain what is RATED CHARGE POWER and MAX PV ARRAY POWER and how do I use those numbers. I was surpriesed when just a few hours later I got the answer from:
BEIJING EPSOLAR TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
BLDG# 18, CO.PARK, NO.8 HEYING ROAD, CHANGPING DISTRICT, BEIJING, CHINA. 102200
Tel.86-10-82894112 / 82894962 Ext.6056 Fax. 86-10-82894882
E-mail.support@epsolarpv.com
Website.www.epsolarpv.com,www.epever.com

Here is the email I got, and attached pdf file with explanation

Dear Dule,
Thanks for your email.
About your issue, if the solar panels are installed in areas with robust sunlight, it's not suggested to hook oversize PV than the rated power. Under such condition ,the charge controller will be running at full power all the time, which will decrease its lifespan.
The more information, please refer to the instruction in the attachment. Thanks, have a nice day!
Best regards
Bianca

Electrical Enqineer

Looks like they dont recomend using more than 520W even I believe that my plan could work. 4x170W=680W, but we know you never get from the roof more than 75-80% ant thats about 510W-540W

So it's not only amps and volts when you are calculating and selecting equipment. Now, I wish I spent a few hunderd dollars more and got Victron 150/70 for $600. It takes 1000W.

What did I learn here? Even Will said this is his favorite CC, it's still just limited Chinese junk.

Attachments

• the explanation for max. PV power and rated PV power.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Final answer.
I found a support email for the manufacturer and asked to explain what is RATED CHARGE POWER and MAX PV ARRAY POWER and how do I use those numbers. I was surpriesed when just a few hours later I got the answer from:

Dear Dule,
Thanks for your email.
About your issue, if the solar panels are installed in areas with robust sunlight, it's not suggested to hook oversize PV than the rated power. Under such condition ,the charge controller will be running at full power all the time, which will decrease its lifespan.
The more information, please refer to the instruction in the attachment. Thanks, have a nice day!
Best regards
Bianca

Electrical Enqineer

Looks like they dont recomend using more than 520W even I believe that my plan could work. 4x170W=680W, but we know you never get from the roof more than 75-80% ant thats about 510W-540W

So it's not only amps and volts when you are calculating and selecting equipment. Now, I wish I spent a few hunderd dollars more and got Victron 150/70 for $600. It takes 1000W.

What did I learn here? Even Will said this is his favorite CC, it's still just limited Chinese junk.

OK -- this is where i get myself in trouble but I totally agree 1000% to never go over the voltage - not by a 0.0001V ... BUT what I would do is hook up the "recommend" amount of cells - then for a few days in sinlight get the maximum amp provided by the panels -- and if you are still 80 short I would crank it up more .... but thats just me .... I hate to leave wasted watts on the roof ...

Final answer.

Dear Dule,
Thanks for your email.
Best regards
Bianca

Electrical Enqineer

It is kinda funny that they feel that their equipment is actually max rated for what it can do ... most of the time manufacturers leave 10-20 percent fudge factor ... who knows .. but I have pushed our EPSOLAR 40A to the point where you can cook a hot dog - and done that for months at a time with no damage -- it has a hell of a heatsink on it and if it gets toooo warm through a computer fan to help push ... but once again ... JUST ME ...I am NOT a solar person ...

Back