diy solar

diy solar

Adding panels to a system question

Kyle_E

I'm not quite where I need to be production wise to make it through a day comfortably. Current setup on my trailer.

Single 455 Watt panel VOC: 49.86V ISC:11.41A
Growatt 24V 3000 Watt all in one.
EG4 24V Battery.

Perfect world I'd just toss an identical panel on the roof and call it done. But there is just not enough space to do it.
What I'm thinking could work, is adding 2, 200 Watt panels.
Each panel is VOC: 24.3V ISC: 10.2A

Would I be okay putting 2, 200's in series and then putting that string in parallel with the current panel?
Would I need to run a combiner box? Or can I just do it with the right combo of MC 4 connectors?

I'm not quite where I need to be production wise to make it through a day comfortably. Current setup on my trailer.

Single 455 Watt panel VOC: 49.86V ISC:11.41A
Growatt 24V 3000 Watt all in one.
EG4 24V Battery.

Perfect world I'd just toss an identical panel on the roof and call it done. But there is just not enough space to do it.
What I'm thinking could work, is adding 2, 200 Watt panels.
Each panel is VOC: 24.3V ISC: 10.2A

Would I be okay putting 2, 200's in series and then putting that string in parallel with the current panel?

Will work. 48.6Voc vs. 49.86Voc is only about 3% difference. You'll see something between 1 and 3% penalty on the total output.

Would I need to run a combiner box?

No.

Or can I just do it with the right combo of MC 4 connectors?

Yep. You only need fuses/breakers in each string when you have 3 or more strings in parallel. You basically have 1 400W panel in parallel with a 455W panel. The fact that the 400W is made with two 200W panels in series doesn't matter.

Yep. You only need fuses/breakers in each string when you have 3 or more strings in parallel. You basically have 1 400W panel in parallel with a 455W panel. The fact that the 400W is made with two 200W panels in series doesn't matter.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Figured I was okay numbers wise, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Back