diy solar

diy solar

Adding storage to my Enphase system

I spent about 3 hours out on the roof today.

My order of aluminum extrusions came in from McMaster Carr so I started to measure it out and next thing I knew, I have the 5 x 200 watt panels all mounted together on a nice frame. I'll try to get a few pictures tomorrow. I was a bit too busy cutting, drilling, and screwing to think about snapping pics. I also have the long rails assembled for the 10 x 100 watt panels. I am going to fasten them together to make the same basic shape as the 200 watt panels. I need to get 2 more pieces of 2"x2" angle to bridge together the smaller panels.

I also need to decide on my tilt angle and final heading before I bolt the mounts to the concrete blocks.

They are predicting another clear sunny day tomorrow. I might actually get it done if I can snag my brother to help. When you bolt together 1,000 watts of solar panels, it get's pretty heavy. I mounted the frame to the panels with the panels face down. I got them turned back over, but it was a struggle. Had there been a gust of wind, I am not sure I could have controlled that sail alone.

Today was about the perfect day for this work. We had decent sun, and it got into the 60's in the afternoon, so it was nice out on the roof. And as a bonus, I had no issue getting the battery fully charged even with disabling as much as 3/4 of my DC array. Check this out.
GreatSunToday.PNG
The XW completed it's charge cycle to 56.7 volts by 11:30 am. The DC panels pulled it up and went to it's Boost stage around 3 pm. When I saw it was down to just 400 watts, I turned the 200 watt panels upside down and it was still happy at 400 watts of float mode as I bolted up the framing. I even flipped the front row of the 100 watt panels to lay out where I need to drill the rails for those. It went back to MPPT mode when the XW started inverting. The weather is supposed to be nice like this again tomorrow, so I hope to finish the rails for the 100 watt panels as well. I only had to work a half day today and tomorrow, so I am being productive here.

And my Enphase system hit 24.1 KWHs also. That's just over 5 sun hours, not too bad at all for March 2nd. Last year today was just 22.9 KWHs. That rain storm got the panels nice and clean. Power for the whole array hit 3,800 watts, just a hair shy of clipping all 16 inverters for a full hour.

I completed getting the 10 x 100 watt panels all racked together into a single beast. The slight savings I got for buying the smaller panels got used up in all the extra hardware I had to use to tie the upper and lower rows together. The 200 watts panels were simple and quick in comparison. Here is a pic of the panels face down with the rails all bolted up, and the face of it after I flipped it back over.

IMG_2877.jpg IMG_2878.jpg

Not the best pics, I was tired and the sun was dropping fast. That is the reflection of the moon on the face of the panels. Don't look too close, there is still a ton of drill chips all over the back of the panels and the panel spacing is not perfect. But none of that will effect the energy production.

Now I have to bolt the hinges to the concrete blocks for the lower end and rig up the tilt rods for the upper end. I was going to just use 2 supports, but the array is a bit too flexible, so I am going with 3 hinges across the bottom and 3 tilt rods across the top. I'll have to go buy a few more concrete blocks. The extra weight is probably a good idea with some of the wind we have had lately.

I am going to target 71 degrees from vertical, or 19 degrees from flat as that is showing as the best summer production in my location. And I am going to turn them a bit towards true south as that also will increase my total over the day. To the west, I get some evening shadow anyways, might as well maximize the production while I can since it is going into a battery, making the power later in the day does not change much.

Another thought I had... When the A/C would run during the day, the Enphase system was not always making quite enough to stop the power meter. I would still see 800 to 1,200 watts coming into the house to cover the load. Last summer, before 4 pm, I would just stop charging the battery, but it would take grid power. With the DC panels feeding the batteries, does it make any sense to let the XW go into invert to help run the A/C while grid power is the cheapest? OR, use the cheapest grid power, and save the stored solar for the middle rate from 9 pm to 8 am? I know I will use battery power from 4 pm to 9 pm peak rate.

I think I'd take option one.
Let the XW battery charging drop to 0 and buy some energy from the grid to assist running the AC before 4 PM peak rates start.
Once peak kicks in, stop charging and have the XW support whatever the solar can't.

Your partial peak runs all night? I'd let the XW support loads through that too. Gives you the best chance of not buying any peak power and lower chance of not buying partial peak. The sacrifice is buying some off peak during the middle of the day.

I'd go with this option because my back of the napkin math looks like it's the lowest cost. But also, it sounds like the other option involves lots more programming and switching the XW back and forth from inverting to charging.

I tend to agree. It really depends on the total energy used in a day though. If I have more solar coming in and the battery is full, it's better to use it than lose it, but if the battery is not full, store up what I can.

Th base code that is built into the XW-Pro does do some odd things in my case. I saw this happen a bit the last couple days. When the battery becomes full based on the XW=Pro's settings, it should just sit in standby, but it doesn't. If for any reason, the backup loads panel shows a power draw, it will start inverting to power it. I think that is the load shave kicking in. I do have the "Sell to Grid" blocked until 3:59 pm, and it certainly does not grid sell before 4 pm. But even with the "Load Shave" blocked from 9:15 pm to 4 pm, it still seems to want to cover the loads in the backup panel. So with the settings I am using right now, if the A/C kicks on at 2 pm, and the battery is already full, the XW will go into invert to power the fan in the furnace, but only if the power from the Enphase solar has fallen below the load. But the power to run the compressor back in the main panel will come from the grid. If the sun is still solid as it normally is at 2 pm, the backup loads panel is covered by the solar production, and any extra power is going back to the main panel. There it will help power the A/C compressor, but if it falls short, it does come from the grid.

After 4 pm, then I ramp up the grid sell to cover all the load in the main panel.

Currently, So Cal Edison has 3 ToU billing rates. The cheapest is "Super Off Peak" which goes from 8 am to 4 pm. Then normal "Off Peak" is from 9 pm to 8 am. The difference between those 2 is small, and varies depending on if it is weekend vs weekday, and summer vs winter. The the "Peak Rate" is always from 4 pm to 9 pm but the rate for the peak time does vary from "Peak Rate" to "Mid Peak" again, depending on if it is Winter/Summer or Weekday/Weekend. And since my billing goes from the 18th to the 17th of the next month, I end up with 2 bills a year with all 6 different rates on it when we flip between summer and winter..

Th base code that is built into the XW-Pro does do some odd things in my case. I saw this happen a bit the last couple days. When the battery becomes full based on the XW=Pro's settings, it should just sit in standby, but it doesn't. If for any reason, the backup loads panel shows a power draw, it will start inverting to power it.
Hmm, that's not something I've seen. But typically my loads are covered by the AC coupled solar. Your Enphase system connects in the sub panel, right?
So, if you have a load larger than your PV in the sub panel and a full battery (complete charge cycle) the XW covers the load?
Hmm, that may be normal operation once the charge cycle is complete. I don't think there is any setting (other than disabling the inverter) to stop it from powering loads on the AC output, the only thing to stop it would be an active charge cycle.

Currently, So Cal Edison has 3 ToU billing rates. The cheapest is "Super Off Peak" which goes from 8 am to 4 pm. Then normal "Off Peak" is from 9 pm to 8 am. The difference between those 2 is small, and varies depending on if it is weekend vs weekday, and summer vs winter. The the "Peak Rate" is always from 4 pm to 9 pm but the rate for the peak time does vary from "Peak Rate" to "Mid Peak" again, depending on if it is Winter/Summer or Weekday/Weekend. And since my billing goes from the 18th to the 17th of the next month, I end up with 2 bills a year with all 6 different rates on it when we flip between summer and winter..
Once the mess with Easy Bay Community Energy passes, I'm switching to the EV rate and I'll be in a similarly messy boat with power rates changing constantly.

Here are the charts for yesterday, March 2, 2023
The Enphase system did amazing.
Enphase-03-02-23.PNG
The line graph is last year. I think most of that increase over last year is due to the big rains cleaning off the panels.
The XW battery ran all night and was still over 52 volts when the sun came up.
XW-Batt-03-02-23.PNG
With the absorb voltage set to 56.7 volts, it went into absorb mode by 11:15 and went to standby at 11:30. The DC panels charged it further to 57.4 volts before 3:30 pm. I was working on the 200 watt panels from 3 pm to 6 pm, so that was just the 10 x 100 watt panels in float holding the voltage at 57.4all the way past 6:30 pm. The big power spikes were once again the microwave. That was 11 minutes on high just before 7 pm. At midnight, the battery voltage was still .5 volts higher than midnight the night before.

And SCE only saw this.
SCE-03-02-23.PNG
The Enphase panels ended up exporting at over 3 KW at noon. Total export for the day going over 11 KWHs. And the XW running the house with just a tiny export the rest of the day.

I am going to target 71 degrees from vertical, or 19 degrees from flat as that is showing as the best summer production in my location.
As the panels are small and roof access doesn't seem bad, have you thought about a mechanism to change the tilt with the seasons? SAM can include you local weather files. My panels are flat to minimize hurricane wind effects...but I don't make the most power in summer like you might expect due to summer storms.

...does it make any sense to let the XW go into invert to help run the A/C while grid power is the cheapest?
You'd have to run the numbers assuming you can. With CA's odd system, it might be easier to try it both ways and see what bill comes to.

As the panels are small and roof access doesn't seem bad, have you thought about a mechanism to change the tilt with the seasons? SAM can include you local weather files. My panels are flat to minimize hurricane wind effects...but I don't make the most power in summer like you might expect due to summer storms.

You'd have to run the numbers assuming you can. With CA's odd system, it might be easier to try it both ways and see what bill comes to.
The Ad for the NewPowa panels on Amazon lists them at 15 pounds each. So 10 panels is 150 pounds. But trying to move the 1,000 watt bank, I would say the total with my racking, wiring, and hardware is around 200-2500 pounds. I only ever tilted it, never actually lifted it fully off the deck. And with the surface area, even a light wind was having a lot of effect on it. The weight is not so bad to handle, but with it spread out and a little flexible, it makes it very awkward to deal with. Once I have the lower edge mounted on the hinges to the concrete blocks, I will see how bad it is to raise and lower the upper end. Without some way to tie the lift points together, it would be at least a 2 man job to manually lift the panel and pin the supports at the desired height. I am probably going to use a pair of car scissor jacks to position the panels as I drill the hole for the initial fixed tilt legs. Another thought I had (since the two rows are in parallel) was to have the front row at a lower "summer" tilt angle and have the back row at the steeper "winter" angle. That way I don't have to space them as far apart to prevent a shadow on the back row in winter. Any gain I might get from the better winter angle would be lost if the front panels cast a shadow on the bottom of the rear panels.

Eco-Worthy lists an 8 inch travel linear actuator that can push and hold 330 pounds for under $50. But to tilt my array from a single push point, I would need to build some kind of truss to spread out the force across the array width.

As for the battery use across the day... YES, it would be a lot of math and a crazy spreadsheet to estimate what plan works better, and even then, the estimate falls apart when I have clouds, or the A/C kicks on at a different time etc. I will have to log a month to see the trend. Goal 1 is to always run on battery from 4 pm to 9 pm for the peak rate. Step 2 is to also offset the mid rate rather than curtail or export at low rate. Ideal situation, produce enough solar to run 24/7 from the solar panels and still have extra to export.

New production record today!
It has been near 90°f every day here for weeks.
I normally put the pool in service around May, but February / March seem to think they are May / June.
So now the pool pumps are powered up.
The heat pump AC is cycling like during Summer, both pool pumps on, electric water heater, well pump cycling as I put more water in the pool.

The 16 new LG 425 watt panels are really cooking!

Noticed something new from the XW Pro and Charge controllers - they all have fans that were previously quiet under low loads, now at these power levels, I can hear the fans operating at high speed!
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.11.54.png

Last edited:
I thought you were using a programmable thermostat to "bank" coldness in the house using solar to spare the batteries?
I don't have it set on time yet, but I may go that way. The problem here is that it does get cold overnight, so on many days, the A/C didn't need to run until it was after 4 pm. On the very hot days when it didn't get too cold overnight, the earlies it would come on with just a temp preset was about 1 pm. I found a few days it came on by 12:15 but that is rare.

If I intentionally set it back 2-3 degrees at say 10 am, I might be able to chill it down a bit and then back it off to our normal setting at 4 pm and it may only have to cycle once before 9 pm. The problem with doing that is how much it will need to run to even get 2 degrees. The run time with the 2 degree dead band is averaging about 50 minutes. That is about 4 to 5 KWHs for that long cycle. I found one time last August it ran for 1:34 from 4:22 pm to 5:56 pm, then another 42 minutes from 6:56 pm to 7:38 pm. That's 2:16 at 3,500 watts = about 8 KWHs on that day. I am wondering if one of us might have bumped it down because it was getting humid and muggy in here???

The Enphase solar made 24 KWHs on that hot summer day. That is 5 sun hours, and using 1,800 watts for the DC array, that gives me an additional 9 KWHs into the battery. I fell short by 12.22 KWHs on that day. By this math, with the identical conditions, I will still have to buy a bit over 3 KWHS, but it should all be at the cheapest rate. That is a pretty good improvement. Looking back at the So Cal Edison hourly power chart, I did manage to buy very little peak rate power. Most of my consumption fell in the early morning as I manually forced it to use grid power to charge up the battery. Between some programming tweaks and the DC solar panels, I want to get it so I never have to manually intervene.

Today has been a weird day. The clouds are in and out and production is less than half of yesterday. I exported 12 KWHs yesterday, today, I may eat into the battery reserve to keep import to zero.

New production record today!
It has been near 90°f every day here for weeks.
I normally put the pool in service around May, but February / March seem to think they are May / June.
So now the pool pumps are powered up.
The heat pump AC is cycling like during Summer, both pool pumps on, electric water heater, well pump cycling as I put more water in the pool.

The 16 new LG 425 watt panels are really cooking!

What did your total KWHs of production end up for the day? (16 x 425 = 6,800) + (24 x 365 = 8760) = 15,560 total watts of solar panel. That is more than triple what I have in my Enphase system, and still well over double after I add in my DC panels.

The last 2 days here March 2 and 3 produced 24.1 and 23.9 KWHs on the Enphase system The DC panels went into absorb mode on both days, so they were cut off at 6,856 and 6,183watt hours as the battery was full and the charge controller had to curtail output. Had there ben capacity left in the batteries, the DC setup should have made about 9 KWHs. It's funny how my peak output on the DC system has been higher on cloudy days. It just did it again, hitting 1,765 watts. A few days ago, my 2,000 watts of mismatched panels managed to top 2,095 watts. I still only really trust those cheap Amazon purchased panels to be 90% of their rating, or 1,800 watts for the whole array. The times it has peaked past that, it has been cool, with the panels even shaded a while, and then they get full direct sun, as well as additional light reflected off of the clouds to add to the power.

Looks like the energy produced was near the energy consumed.
Clouds forced the system to "borrow" from the grid a few times.
Beginning to feel more optimistic about the 2023 Summer!
Will know by August if I need to add more panels next Winter.
Already told the giant son to get ready to auger and pour concrete for more 8' deep
ground mount piers...
energy_march_4_2023.png
grid_energy_march_4_2023.png

With the clouds here today, my production ended up just over half of yesterday, dropped from 23.9 KWHs to 12.7 KWHs. The DC solar never hit absorb, and with half the panels flat, no tilt, it managed to produce 4,001 watt hours. The extra from the Enphase and the DC did manage to get the battery from 51.8 volts up to 55.3 volts. That will certainly make it past 9 pm, maybe even past midnight tonight, but I am pretty sure I will be dropping to grid power before the sun comes up. The XW energy page says it put 4.8 KWHs into the battery today. Add in the DC charge and the total is 8.8 KWHs into the battery. Not too bad with the clouds. While the sun was shining, the house used 7.9 KWHs from the Enphase inverters.

I looked back a few days to see the trend on the DC panels, and back on Feb 22, we had the odd cloud reflection situation again. It actually pushed the DC system up to 2,195 watts out of the 2,000 watts of panels. I don't think that situation lasted very long. On the same day, the Enphase system did show a spike to 3,800 watts, very close to clipping all 16 inverters, so I am guessing it happened within that 15 minute slice.

Last night, I checked the forecast again, and they were calling for cloudy all day. I almost set the XW-Pro to a slow grid powered charge before I went to bed, but the battery was still at 55 volts at midnight since I did the grid charging yesterday, and we got some decent sun. So I decided to wait and check before I left for work. At 7 am, the battery voltage was still over 52.5 and I was already seeing some power from both the Enphase panels and the DC system, so I figure I would let it go on it's own.

That was the right choice. While we had spotty clouds, and the power did drop to just 30% of the clear sky production several times, it still did quite well. I got home by 5 and the battery was full and the DC system had even gone to float. Here is the battery summary for today so far.
XW-03-06-23.PNG
While it does not show on the 15 minute Enphase data, you can see where the XW even stopped charging a few times from the clouds between 10:30 and 11:15 The sharp dip into discharge at 9:10 was probably my girlfriend using the microwave. Most of the dips only fell to the 7 amp charge floor. Thanks to the reflections off the clouds, peak power hit about 55 amps, over 3,000 watts of charge power, and that is only the extra above what the house is using, and still exporting 80 watts. That was very short lived as the Enphase average for that 15 minute time slot was only 2,600 watts.

The 2,000 watts of DC panels also reported a peak power of 1,930 watts. But that could have been just a single sample of the MPPT search. As the sun rises, I see it update the max power each time it rises above it, even if the very next update, 10 seconds later is down 200 watts and it never goes up there again. But in any case, at some point it peaked to that power, and 1,913 / 55 volts is nearly 35 amps. It is rated at 40 amps, so it's still all good. I don't know what time of day that peak happened as the charge controller does not give that data.

The sun is now behind the palm trees so the power is pretty much done for the day, but the DC panels are still pushing 20 watts. I am now very pleased with the DC system performance. The XW-Pro went into standby well before noon and the DC pushed in 6.64 KWHs to the battery bank. The XW-Pro took 5.6 KWHs from the Enphase production and put that into the battery. That means I put a total of about 12.2 KWHs into the battery today. That will certainly get it through to sun up tomorrow. And it looks like I exported close to 5 KWHs out to the grid for credit. I won't have the official number from SCE until noon tomorrow. That seems to be when they get the daily usage data posted.

All in all, I am very pleased wit the addition of the DC panels. Over 2 years ago, when I was first messing with the battery system, I figured I needed about 50% more solar panel. 2,000 watts is 41.666% of my Enphase array. So it is a little less than I was thinking, but it looks like it will do the job. 400 watts more would hit my original 50% target. The real test is going to be the hot summer days with the A/C cranking.

My Enphase system hit clipping on all 16 inverters for the first time this year, 3,900 watts at 12:15 to 12:30 but the DC system has only peaked at 1,431 watts. It may have gone higher, but by 12:30, the battery was full and the DC system went into absorb mode. I may have to lower the maximum voltage from the XW-Pro even a bit more to get the most out of the DC system.

3,900 / 4,800 = 81.25% of panel rating on the SilFab/Enphase system. It may have gone higher, but the inverters clip.
1,431 / 2,000 = 71.55% of panel rating on the DC NewPowa/BougeRV system. It may have gone higher as it hit absorb before 12:30 pm.

@GXMnow Have you ever looked at system efficiency? The sol-ark thread has me wondering just what kind of losses you are seeing in your setup.

@GXMnow Have you ever looked at system efficiency? The sol-ark thread has me wondering just what kind of losses you are seeing in your setup.
I have taken a few measurements. The Schneider XW-Pro and my battery bank is measuring very close to 90% round trip efficiency. If I pull 10 KWHs out of the battery, it takes 11 KWHs to get it back to full if I only charge with the AC coupling from the Enphase inverters. By the numbers, it is a bit less efficient than the DC panels going into a Sol-Ark as it is not converting to AC and then back to DC to charge the batteries.

My DC panels are looking like 98% efficient from the DC in to the energy going into the battery, but that is a lie. The BougeRV charge controller reads 0.2 volts high and about 0.2 amps high. So it reports that it is putting a lot more power into the batteries than it really is. In a few weeks, when I get a very nice day with no clouds, I will try and get some accurate current readings from the solar panel input to the DC battery charging output. My rough estimate is falling just over 95% which is not too bad for a cheap charge controller with all these features.

The XW-Pro inverting only is also about 95% efficient from batter in to my breaker panel out. Again, the Sol-Ark claims a little better, but that is most likely due to the transformer in the XW sucking up a little power. The slight loss is not too bad for the crazy surge capability of this beast.

I have had the DC panels running for a while now. The first 1,000 watts went in back in Nov. 22 and I added the second 1,000 watts in mid Feb. SO far, since Jan 1 the XW-Pro has inverted 642.5 KWHs from the battery to run my house. But it has only pulled 516.3 KWH's from the Enphase inverters to charge the batteries. The DC panels have provided the other 126.2 KWHs as well as covering all of the losses in the system.

Since I added the second set of DC panels, it is hard to state the true production as the batteries have been getting full too early and it has been dropping to absorb and even float mode while it could still be making good power. Today, I raised the CV absorb voltage in the charge controller to 58 volts just to see how it would do. IT still maxed it out and it is in Absorb mode yet again. The DC panels have now made 7.95 KWHs today, and it started cloudy.

Thanks to going back on Daylight Savings Time today, it is nearly 6 pm and the Enphase solar is still covering all the loads in the house so the XW-Pro is still sitting in standby mode. It took the DC panels 2.5 hours at over 22 amps to pull the battery up from 56.7 to 57.8 volts, measured at the battery. The charge controller calls this 58 volts. That's 55 amp hours more after the XW stopped charging from AC. That is almost 3.2 KWHs of more charge after the XW stopped. If I believe all the numbers, It looks like I have put a total of about 15 KWHs into the battery bank today. While that is certainly a good thing, I will not use that much tomorrow, and the system is going to top out again and the DC system will be throwing away even more power. I need to use more electricity to make use of the production now. As it is, I exported 10 KWHs to the grid from the Enphase inverter after the XW stopped charging. I won't be seeing the full benefit of the new DC panels until I start running the Central A/C and I end up using all of the production again. Of course, the other benefit is that my system has (almost) kept up through the storms. I have not needed to use much grid power at all, even when it was cloudy and raining for several days.

This weather has just been crazy. Trying to predict when I may need some grid power charging is basically impossible. Even the day we had all the rain come through, we still got decent sun around noon and with the DC panels, it almost made it through the night. I am pretty sure the 5 new BougeRV 200 watt panels are performing better than the 10 NewPowa 100 watt panels. One of these days I need to get on the roof with the amp clamp and see what they are really producing out of each row. But to put this in perspective, I had one day where the 4,800 watts of SilFab/Enphase panes hardly put any charge into the battery bank, but the direct DC coupled panels still pushed over 4 kilowatt hours to the battery. This is exactly what I was hoping, but didn't expect to see it happen this easily. The Enphase inverters were busy powering the loads in the house, but due to the heavy clouds, there was almost no extra power for charging. But the DC panels still put everything they get straight into the batteries. Having both AC and DC coupled is looking like a great way to do this.

So far this month, the XW says I have taken in just 35.6 KWHs from the grid to power loads and/or charge the battery. That seems fair.
It does not know about grid power used in my main panel, but the backup loads panel is over 90% of my power usage until I start running the A/C.
In this same month (15 days in) the XW has exported out 130 KWHs to the grid side to run the loads in my main panel from the batteries.
It has also output another 143.6 KWHs to the backup loads panel.
So in 15 days, it has inverted 273.6 KWHs from batteries to AC power. That can't be right. It says it only discharged 138.7 KWHs from battery.
And while it only charged 84 KWHs, I know it has been getting the extra charging from the DC input. But it still can't invert out more than it discharged from the DC bus.

I think the power output to the backup loads panel still counts up all the power that was passed through coming in from the grid when the batteries ran low or I forced grid charging. But even subtracting the entire 35.6 KWHs of grid input energy, the numbers just don't look right. Subtracting the grid input power I still see the inverter putting out 238 KWHs in 15 days. But it still only pulled 138.7 KWHs from the battery bus. Where does the other 100 KWHs come from?

Right now, the sun is blasting on my roof and the Enphase inverters are making 3.57 KW. Out of that, 2.8 KW are going into the batteries. The rest is powering the loads in the house and just 80 watts is exporting to grid. At the same time, the DC panels were pushing about 1,100 watts. But of course a cloud moved in as I went to read the numbers and the power dropped by almost 80% to just 800 watts from Enphase and 200 from the DC system. The cloud is slowly clearing and I am watching both systems ramp up the power again. I can't wait until we have clear skies again for doing real power testing without this huge variable. In just 1 minute, that cloud dropped the XW charge current from 50.74 amps to 6.67 amps, the minimum 5%. After 9 minutes, it is just now coming up off the minimum charge power. And a minute later the Enphase output spiked to 3.92 KW, but only for a minute as the MPPT in the iQ7's settles in. I see that in the DC charge controller as well. Every time the panels go from partial shade to full sun, the power jumps up higher than reality. I think it's a capacitor on the PV input getting charged up and the MPPT pulls extra current to pull it back down. I am now at 3.59 KW from Enphase and 1.36 KW from BougeRV. 3.59 / 4.8 = 75% of panel rating for Enphase, and 1.36 / 2.0 = 68% of panel rating on the BougeRV. And I saw the DC hit 76% but then the Enphase clipped at 3,900 watts. It still looks like the DC panels to battery charging is still only making 92% of the power per rated watt compared to the AC power from the Enphase system per panel watt. But I really need the light on the panels to be more stable to get a good solid number.

Sorry for just rambling as I read the numbers in real time. At this rate, the XW is going to drop to Absorb before 12:30 so I might get a chance to try shutting off the DC to see if I can get my state of charge to reset to 100 again.

Back