diy solar

diy solar

Adding tilt rails to already tilted roof

anomaly_a

The roof I want to put my solar panels on is south facing and about 20°. I know that ideally the panels would be closer to 30°.

I'm looking at the Ironridge rails and they have so mounts that can adjust the angle of the panels:

What I'm trying to decide is whether or not upping the panels angles by another 10° is worth it and then if so, these feet say they are intended for flat roofs. Does anyone know if they'll work alright on an already slanted roof?

As far as seeing if the extra 10% is worth it, I recommend using a solar calculator like in my signature block.

Personally, don’t think you’ll make back in extra energy the cost to tilt the panels by only 10%, but the math will say along with the different gains with the season.

Last edited:
As far as seeing if the extra 10% is worth it, I recommend using a solar calculator lie in my signature block.

Personally don’t think you’ll make back in extra energy the cost to tilt the panels by only 10%, but the math will say along with the different gains with the season.

Thanks for that. Seems like 20 vs 30 vs 35 doesn't make a ton of a difference, especially since I have a ton of roof space and a ton of panels that I got for cheap. Adding a few more panels seems to make up for that extra tilt power. I'm pretty sure I was also going to put a lot more on the roof than I needed.

Back