diy solar

diy solar

Adding to an installed system

Taliwacker

I've got a Tesla mostly whole home back up solution with one power wall 2. I paid way to much and am looking into adding on to the system but a significantly lower price point.

Has anyone added to an already existing Tesla system with non Tesla gear and made it work together?

I've ony got 9.6kw of production and 13.5KW of storage and would love to 4x the storage and 2x the production.

I have plenty of room for both just trying to find the best option that doesn't void my current warranty.

I'm in the same boat with Enphase and might have a solution, but it may not work for you.

There's a discussion on it in Incrementally Adding AC Batteries, and it's a pickle. I expect we'll see some microgrid-aware systems become available eventually (they exist on very large scales, e.g., islands, military bases), but haven't seen anything yet fit for residential.

If you do find a solution, please post it!

Do you own the Tesla system or lease? Id wager any modifications outside Tesla (solar city) involvement would void any warranty on the system.

IMO it’d have to me and entire separate system that would be parallel, but again I wagers Tesla would still void the warranty.

Is there any option to reach out to Tesla and see if they can provide what you’d want?

Do you own the Tesla system or lease? Id wager any modifications outside Tesla (solar city) involvement would void any warranty on the system.

IMO it’d have to me and entire separate system that would be parallel, but again I wagers Tesla would still void the warranty.

Is there any option to reach out to Tesla and see if they can provide what you’d want?
Yeah so I reached out to Tesla and they said the only option I have with them is to have a certified installer put in a generator hook up upstream from the BUG but after the grid power. I guess it requires verification that their power monitors are places correctly.

At a minimum I want the ability to recharge the PW in an emergency situation and at best I'd love to have a separate system that could replace the grid power

This is the downside of a proprietary system.
I hope that you find an acceptable solution.

Back