diy solar

diy solar

Adding wind generator to existing solar system

v.stefa

Hi

I would like to add a wind generator to my existing photovoltaic system.
The inverter is an Italian branded version of the SOFAR HYD 3k-ES (Zucchetti HYD 3K-ES) and one of the two inputs is still free, as you can see from the picture below.
Setup-1.png

My idea is to use an auxiliary battery that fed the MPPT2 input through a Orion DC-DC converter. In this way I could easily monitor and measure the energy produced by the wind and would send any excess energy into the grid.

Setup-2.png
On the contrary, by connecting the wind generator directly to the main battery, I would have to add a monitoring system for the wind generator and I would not be able to feed any energy into the grid: If I have well understood, when the main battery is charged, the Victron Orion would stop itself.
At the moment I would like to understand if the described solution could cause problems or damages the inverter or the other components.
Thank you in advance for any help or any safe alternative

Best regards
Vincenzo Stefanazzi
Italy

This guy Robert Murray Smith on YouTube has got some great ideas on low wind speed harvesting energy

This guy Robert Murray Smith on YouTube has got some great ideas on low wind speed harvesting energy
Tad I would love nothing more than to see small wind succeed. I've installed dozens of them. Worked on dozens that I didn't install and have watched hundreds of thinly veiled investor scams come and go. Tad please tell me more about your hands on experience with small wind. Surely you've more than one YouTube video to back you up?

Last edited:
Hi

The inverter is an Italian branded version of the SOFAR HYD 3k-ES (Zucchetti HYD 3K-ES) and one of the two inputs is still free, as you can see from the picture below.
View attachment 103476

My idea is to use an auxiliary battery that fed the MPPT2 input through a Orion DC-DC converter. In this way I could easily monitor and measure the energy produced by the wind and would send any excess energy into the grid.

View attachment 103477
On the contrary, by connecting the wind generator directly to the main battery, I would have to add a monitoring system for the wind generator and I would not be able to feed any energy into the grid: If I have well understood, when the main battery is charged, the Victron Orion would stop itself.
At the moment I would like to understand if the described solution could cause problems or damages the inverter or the other components.

Best regards
Vincenzo Stefanazzi
Italy
Sounds like a great idea I have a similar setup and am toying with this idea as well I cannot see why this would not work the minimum voltage on my spare mppt is 100 volts although there are a lot of variables i.e. auxiliary battery might get too hot for the Orion controller might just flatline and die and the size of the wind turbine would probably been need to be considerable or a series of wind turbines to boost voltage with a good controller the only other way would be to have a solar and wind inverter all in one although I'm not sure if you can get one that is good tied?

Hi

View attachment 103476

View attachment 103477

Best regards
Vincenzo Stefanazzi
Italy
Also I would have thought the priority would be to help charge the main battery during the day as well as feed into the grid during the day this could be controlled by a timer on the wind turbine so like your solar panels producing energy From Dawn Till Dusk only electricity doesn't know night and day so if you can mimic the right dc voltage and current to the inverter it's got to work hasn't it?

Last edited:
Tad I would love nothing more than to see small wind succeed. I've installed dozens of them. Worked on dozens that I didn't install and have watched hundreds of thinly veiled investor scams come and go. Tad please tell me more about your hands on experience with small wind. Surely you've more than one YouTube video to back you up?
Hi hi yeah sorry I'm a newbie to this wind stuff but am considering all different options at the moment, if you've installed dozens which one would you recommend to be the best?

Hi hi yeah sorry I'm a newbie to this wind stuff but am considering all different options at the moment, if you've installed dozens which one would you recommend to be the best?
Hi. Totally makes sense to be thinking about every possible option and that's a good idea.

No direct experience with Primus but I think they may be the best (least worst) micro turbine out there at the moment but still when they say 30 kWh per month you need to apply a 50% discount to that. EG: 15 kWH per month would be the number you should use for your analysis.

That being said would it make more sense to add a X more X watt solar panels to your design than a wind turbine?

Back