diy solar

diy solar

Adding wind to my system

tas99

I currently have a small (330watt) solar system feeding a Renogy 30A MTTP controller to charge my 12V battery bank. I'm thinking of adding a small wind turbine for those dark winter days. It would be about 600 watts and have it's own controller. My question is would it cause any problems if I connected the output of the wind controller to my batteries along with the current Renogy controller? If so, what precautions should be taken?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

I don’t have that specific hardware but I’d suggest running a separate controller from the wind generator to the batteries. I‘ve implemented a Air 403 wind generator in addition to solar panels for similar reasons. When the sun ain’t shining it’s probably blowing. Unfortunately I couldn’t stand the noise generated by the wind generator. The mast was attached to a shed and the wall of the shed acted like an amplified sound board. Put on anti vibration supports which helped but the whir pitch from generator was annoying. The wind generator was pulled down within a month and has been sitting in storage ever since. So I’d recommend trying out the generator before you go too far along the implementation process.

I currently have a small (330watt) solar system feeding a Renogy 30A MTTP controller to charge my 12V battery bank. I'm thinking of adding a small wind turbine for those dark winter days. It would be about 600 watts and have it's own controller. My question is would it cause any problems if I connected the output of the wind controller to my batteries along with the current Renogy controller? If so, what precautions should be taken?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Do you have decent wind at your location?

My advice is read this carefully.
Sorry, don't know much about wind controllers except that you need a dump load.

I was planning on a separate controller for the wind turbine and was wondering if there would be a problem with 2 controllers feeding the batteries or should I get a hybrid controller that controls both. As for the noise it will be quite a ways from the house so I hope the noise is not a factor. It's a small vertical turbine which I hope has minimal noise.

Where I live there is a good amount of wind in the winter months.
I don’t have that specific hardware but I’d suggest running a separate controller from the wind generator to the batteries. I‘ve implemented a Air 403 wind generator in addition to solar panels for similar reasons. When the sun ain’t shining it’s probably blowing. Unfortunately I couldn’t stand the noise generated by the wind generator. The mast was attached to a shed and the wall of the shed acted like an amplified sound board. Put on anti vibration supports which helped but the whir pitch from generator was annoying. The wind generator was pulled down within a month and has been sitting in storage ever since. So I’d recommend trying out the

I haven’t used a Renogy controller yet but the concept of having more than one charge controller feeding a battery bank is common practice. Think two different sets of solar panels that are not compatible for connecting directly together. Using the similar batched panels and their own charge controller one can get power from both sets at the same time or from one or the other. For example, shading one set of panels while the other is still able to produce power. Same idea as when you have hydro generator and solar panels or generator with an ac/dc charger while connected to solar panels, or as in your case wind and solar panels. Multiple power input sources.

Nice thing too is that you‘ll have redundancy in power generation. So if one side goes out, you have the other side to keep things going.

I was planning on a separate controller for the wind turbine and was wondering if there would be a problem with 2 controllers feeding the batteries or should I get a hybrid controller that controls both. As for the noise it will be quite a ways from the house so I hope the noise is not a factor. It's a small vertical turbine which I hope has minimal noise.

Do you have a sales link to the vertical turbine?
How tall a tower are you mounting it on?

As for the noise it will be quite a ways from the house so I hope the noise is not a factor. It's a small vertical turbine which I hope has minimal noise.

A small vertical turbine like this?
Dunno about the noise but this one made no power.

I'm not sure that using a small 12V motor is an accurate way to measure the turbines output. The turbine is going to supply the current the motor requires to run. Would you expect the turbine to force more amperage to the motor than it requires? The turbine is probably rated at a few hundred watts so to be more realistic connect an item requiring more amperage, say 10-15 amps and depending on the wind speed it should be able to supply that amount at rated wind speed.

As far as additional batteries, the sun here in the winter is absent for a week or so at a time so no matter how many batteries you install the solar array is not capable of keeping then charged. Luckily, when the sun is absent the wind is usually present so a wind turbine seems like a good addition.

My initial question was is there a problem with 2 controllers - one for wind and one for solar - connected to the battery. Do they create a conflict?

I'm not sure that using a small 12V motor is an accurate way to measure the turbines output. The turbine is going to supply the current the motor requires to run. Would you expect the turbine to force more amperage to the motor than it requires? The turbine is probably rated at a few hundred watts so to be more realistic connect an item requiring more amperage, say 10-15 amps and depending on the wind speed it should be able to supply that amount at rated wind speed.

As far as additional batteries, the sun here in the winter is absent for a week or so at a time so no matter how many batteries you install the solar array is not capable of keeping then charged. Luckily, when the sun is absent the wind is usually present so a wind turbine seems like a good addition.

My initial question was is there a problem with 2 controllers - one for wind and one for solar - connected to the battery. Do they create a conflict?
Do you have a sales link to the vertical turbine you bought?
How tall a tower are you mounting it on?

I looked at adding wind turbines and have put that on hold. So anything I say, remember I have not built one yet. Also, the big thing stopping me is mine was meant to be portable, yours isn’t so you have a huge advantage. I want you to succeed. Whatever you try, I’d like to see a post in the Show and Tell or WInd section of this forum.

Before I lose you with my long winded post, this is the company I would go with. Over 100k units delivered over 25 years they’ve been in business, and has a charge controller built in that includes acting as load for unused power and can brake if spinning too fast:

Not cheap, but you’d produce power, versus a lot of the other cheap CHines windmills.

People put solar in. like the results, come back for more and talk about how good it is. Not the case for wind. In fact for wind, it is nearly impossible to get any test data, its like the Wild West and much worst than trying to direct order Grade A lithium Cells direct from China. What I did find was a lot of chap windmills that look the same for sale on Amazon and E-Bay, with no real reviews. These windmills looked oddly identical to some windmills that had received awful reviews, but seem to have been rebranded. In fact, the windmill in post #7 that had no output looks identical to a lot of the 200-400 watt vertical windmills I liked at.

For planning, I like to think that wind can deliver 10% of the power of the total system. Not at all predictable: sometimes more, most days less. So, I wanted to get about 250 wh of power during the night to help tide me over on the long winter nights until the sun came up. That’s a rather realistic goal. Unfortunately, this would have to be portable and would need to set up for three days at a time, frequent tear down.

With a 3’ to 6’ rotor diameter, I could hit the mark I wanted. Why 3’ to 6’? Well, there’s no good data about how much power, it just happened to be the size of some more reliable makers I saw. Once the was masted, the only way I could do that was making a hitch for my truck that had a hole in it, kind of like a flagpole. These things are too much to anchor to your RV roof. It would shake it all night long until it tore the roof off. I am unsure about putting a pole on the ground anchored by the hitch. Aside just bending in the high winds, that kinds of attracts attention when there‘s a tall pole and big skinny thing, and still too many looky loos where I stay.

I was getting windo at the edge of the mountain and valley in the winter that was shaking the RV for a couple hours before sunset or a couple hours before sunrise. At least 15 knots, gusting to 25 knots. At the same time, my batteries were draining to mid 70% SOC. Getting the 250 wh I described would get me through a cloudy day without power easy, not completely recharging, but giving me enough to last.

To solve the cloudy day problem, I added more solar panels. On a good day a 100 watts of panels will deliver 6 amps of charging power for about 4 hours a day, but on an overcast day, that cuts to one amp. I went from 1000 watts of panels to 1350 watts of panels, and no I comfortably recharge without having to resort to wind.

I also found out that outside of winter, those winds just might not be there. Staying in the same place in the spring had no wind. A good wind survey is supposed to monitor an area for 3 years at a specific place you will build the turbine, You should monitor for at least a year. Who has that kind of time? You’ve been dealt the land you have.

Back