diy solar

diy solar

Adjustable Output Power Supply

What should I be looking for in a power supply? I'm building a 12v battery bank now, but eventually may move up to 48v. Would a 50v power supply work for the 48v battery bank?

The post above has me confused. How can a power supply that only goes to 15v charge a 16s battery that is ~48v?

Throwing out an example for discussion, the Rigol DP712 is rated to 50 volts and 3 amps. Is 3 amps enough? Specifications are here.

What should I be looking for in a power supply? I'm building a 12v battery bank now, but eventually may move up to 48v. Would a 50v power supply work for the 48v battery bank?

The post above has me confused. How can a power supply that only goes to 15v charge a 16s battery that is ~48v?

Throwing out an example for discussion, the Rigol DP712 is rated to 50 volts and 3 amps. Is 3 amps enough? Specifications are here.
The max charging voltage for a 16s lifepo4 battery is 58.4 volts.

The thing that catches people is that 16 cells in parallel takes 16 times longer to charge.

So it's possible to charge a 16s (max charge volts of 58.4 volts) at 15 volts?

No the absolute minimum voltage for a 16s lifepo4 battery is 40 volts.
That would essentially be bottom balanced.

So how did BigVT (in post #21) charge his 16s battery with a charger that only goes to 15 volts? Did he charge each cell individually? I think that would be rather tedious.

So how did BigVT (in post #21) charge his 16s battery with a charger that only goes to 15 volts? Did he charge each cell individually? I think that would be rather tedious.

Usually for top balance you charge as 16p at 3.6 to 3.65 volts and then reconfigure as 16s.

BigVT's charger is rated for 60 amps and his cells are 280ah capacity.
I would make 16p and charge them all together.
His charger is rated for 60 amps so I would chank it up to 45 amps and check it periodically to see how hot its getting.
Batteries are usually shipped ~50% charged so ~2240 amp hours is required which would take >50 hours.

BigVT's charger is rated for 60 amps and his cells are 280ah capacity.
I would make 16p and charge them all together.
His charger is rated for 60 amps so I would chank it up to 45 amps and check it periodically to see how hot its getting.
Batteries are usually shipped ~50% charged so ~2240 amp hours is required which would take >50 hours.

I see power supplies are rated to 3 amps. Given your numbers, it seems that a power supply with such a small amp rating would be like watching paint dry. In fact, I think paint would dry much faster than a 3 amp power supply trying to charge a 16p battery bank.

How's this for a summary?
High amps, low volts = optimal
Low amps, High volts = workable, but not ideal
High amps, high volts = ideal (but a quality unit is going to be expensive)

I see power supplies are rated to 3 amps. Given your numbers, it seems that a power supply with such a small amp rating would be like watching paint dry. In fact, I think paint would dry much faster than a 3 amp power supply trying to charge a 16p battery bank.

@FilterGuy has a good system here https://diysolarforum.com/resources...ls-using-a-low-cost-benchtop-power-supply.65/

Sometimes I need a good whack between the eyes with a 2x4.
Sometimes I think I already had the good whack and it killed one of the two good neurons left after my college drinking days. ?

High amps, high volts = high power = big bucks :)
Here's a 160 volt, 7 amp supply I used to have, picked it up cheap, but it was originally a pricey unit.IMG_0268.JPGIMG_0267.JPG

Back