diy solar

diy solar

Advice 48V 50Ah LiFePo4 battery for Trolling Engine

tfbpa

Hi everybody,

I recently bought a Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus outboard electric engine for my 8ft dinghy/tender boat and am looking for an extra battery.

The battery supplied with the engine is actually the hood, but it is also possible to connect an external battery, which I would like to do.

Reason for wanting an external battery is purely the expensive price of an extra hood battery, which is 1100 Euro for 1276Wh.

So I am looking for a cheaper option then the hood battery.

Below are first some specs of it all, taken from the manufacturer. My requirements and after that my actual question.

Specs of the electric engine:
SPIRIT 1.0 Plus
Type: Electric
Rated Input Power: 1 kW
Rated Current: 20.8 A

Specs of supplied hood battery:
SPIRIT Battery Plus
Type: Lithium-Polymer
Rated Capacity: 1276 Wh
Rated Voltage: 45.6 V
Cut-off Voltage: 33.6 V
Full Charged Voltage: 52.2 V
Charging Time: ~8 hrs
Cycle Life: ≥500 cycles (80% of Rated Capacity)
Temperature Range Charging: 0°C ~ 45°C (32°F ~ 113°F)
Discharging: -20°C ~ 60°C (-4°F ~ 140°F)
Dimension (L×W×H): 416 mm × 275 mm × 202 mm
Weight: 8.8 kg / 19.4 lbs

External Battery Requirement:
Type: Lead-acid Battery or Lithium Battery
Rated Voltage: 48 V
Minimum Voltage: 39 V
Maximum Voltage: 60 V
Minimum Continuous Discharge Current: 28 A
Internal Resistance:﹤100 m

Since the battery will be placed in an 8ft dinghy, the following requirements are what I came up with.

- Lightweight, as it needs to be carried in and out of the boat every time. I consider lightweight to be around 15 kg / 33 lbs
- Waterproof case, as it is on an open boat and will get wet
- Capacity: 40 to 50 Ah, 48V
- Cycle Life: Not important, as per year the battery will be recharged 20 times at most and both boat and engine will last less then 10 years. Meaning if the battery has a cycle life of only 200, that is fine.
- Build quality: I don't want it to blow up, short circuit, set on fire or any other nasty stuff.

All this makes me think that a LiFePo4 battery is best suited.

Furthermore, since cycle life is of no importance to me, I have no objection to grade B or used cells are.

As long as they don't explode, set on fire, short circuit or in any other way endanger me or my family, it is fine by me.

Can you recommend a battery that suits my needs?

I have seen several on Aliexpress that would possibly be a good fit. I know that most of you don't recommend buying from there, but perhaps with my requirements it is possible?

I am located in the Netherlands, Europe, so an American supplier is unfortunately not possible.

Below are links to some products I found on Aliexpress.

Do any of them sound suitable for my purpose and/or do you know of a good option?

Thanks very much!

Hi - what did you land on? I have the exact same question. Having a hard time finding a good alternative to the really nice battery from ePRO

Hi - what did you land on? I have the exact same question. Having a hard time finding a good alternative to the really nice battery from ePRO

I see you are in the US unlike the OP.

Consider something like this :

Back