diy solar

diy solar

Advice & feedback requested for backup power for home

richardw

I have been watching Will's videos for a while now and like the info that has been presented. I just ordered 8 of the Lishen cells that Will has listed on his website from LiitokalaVariCoreFlagship Store on AliExpress and am looking forward to receiving them and to start working with lithium batteries. A few years ago, I became interested in using deep cycle golf cart batteries to use as a backup power source. I had two 6V golf cart batteries in series for a 95AH 12V battery bank. It worked great for what I was using it for at the time. However, I did not like the 50% DOD limitation and the electrolyte maintenance that needs to be done. One has to take very good care of those batteries for them to last. Last year, we had a 5.7 earthquake in my area and a separate power outage that lasted for about 6 hours. Fortunately, we have had very stable power where I live, but I want to be prepared in case things go downhill in the future. I am sure we will get a larger earthquake in our area one day (scientists say up to a 7.5 as the max based on the fault lines around here).

Anyway, I am looking for advice here as to what would be the best way forward as a starting point. These new Lishen cells will put me leaps and bounds above what I had before in available power capacity. If I do a 4s2p arrangement with the cells, I will have 560AH at 12V for a total of 6,720 Watt Hours. We currently have 2 refrigerators and one freezer at our home. After events last year, I would like to be able to power these items for at least 12 to 24 hours before having to get out the generator. I don't want to have to babysit the generator all through the night to protect it from theft, etc. I do not currently have a way to connect either of my generators to my home's electrical system, plus these generators are single phase. Also, I do not have a way to secure the generators from theft or inclement weather if they are running outside unattended.

I used a clamp meter to obtain some info about the refrigerators/freezer I am including below.

Here are my current thoughts about what I would like to accomplish:

• Power 2 refrigerators and 1 freezer for at least 12 hours to 24 hours before needing to get out one of my generators
    • Generators: Honda EU2000i and Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Super Quiet
    • Refrigerator Upstairs: 11.21 starting amps (1,289 starting watts) - 1.69 running amps (194 running wats)
    • Refrigerator Downstairs: 14.4 starting amps (1,656 starting watts) - .94 running amps (108 running watts)
    • Freezer Downstairs: 14.54 starting amps (1,672 running watts) - 1.08 running amps (124 running watts)
    • If all three refrigerators and freezer started at exactly the same time (not likely), it would be 4,617 starting watts (384.75 starting amps at 12V). If all are running at the same time, it would be 427 watts total (35.6 running amps at 12V).
  • Power other devices, such as LED lights, security system, home network, laptop or desktop PC, charge mobile devices, 1,000-watt microwave for short periods, etc. as long as possible. The primary concern is powering the refrigerators, some LED lights, and the home network and security devices in the short-term. If we had an extended crisis, then being able to use a TV, microwave, laptops/PCs, etc. become more important.
  • With the 8 cells, setting up in a 4s2p configuration seems best so that if a cell goes bad or something then I still have a functioning string.
  • I want to be able to charge the batteries from the grid.
  • I want to be able to charge the batteries using one of my generators.
  • I may be interested in adding solar panels later.
  • I would like the flexibility to switch to 24V later by just adding batteries and not having to buy new chargers or inverters, etc.
  • Should I just spend more and go with 24-volt now?
  • I am hoping to have the system be as flexible as possible without having to buy all new equipment at some point in the future as I learn more and/or want to expand.
  • It seems like most of what I would run at this point would be anywhere from a low amount of watts to peaking at under 2,000 watts depending on what is running at the time. I see that 8 hours per day of run time is used for refrigerators/freezers. I am going to check with a meter device to see what kind of regular power usage my refrigerators and freezer are using on a daily basis.
  • Are there good chargers and inverters now that can switch between 12V and 24V or even other voltage options?
Do you all have any suggestions on how I should start? Currently, I have the 8 Lishen cells, one 15-amp 12-volt smart charger for traditional batteries, two 6-volt 4-amp smart chargers for traditional batteries, and one 300 or 350-watt APC modified sine wave inverter.

I see a lot of activity on this Beginner's Corner section of the forus, but no activity on my thread. :) Am I missing something that I should add or clarify?

Back