diy solar

diy solar

Advice for a new system 600kWh/month system $20-30k budget.

scuba_pr

Hi all!

Newbie here, but I've been reading and researching for several months. I just bought a new house (2 phase 120/240v) and I want to install on-grid system (net metering) and storage that gives me a minimum of 24 hours backup. Where I live there are power outages several times a week for periods of 5min - 8hrs+. My budget is between $20-$30k. Does this system makes sense? Any recommendation?

Current Usage: ~550kWh/month but we plan to have (Plug-In) cars in the next 6-12 months, so I would like 600kWh/month system or maybe expand to a 1,000kWh/month. According to Google Solar I receive an average of 1,594 kWh/m2 per year.

Planned System:
  • Panels: 30 @ (360-370W / CHSM6612M-365, HiS-360SRI, EVPV370) ~$10,000
  • String Inverter: 2 @ (MPP Solar LVX 6048) ~$4,000
  • Optimizer: ??? (I don't know whether to include them because there are no shadow areas on the roof. But I would like the individual monitoring feature in case of future failures)
  • Batteries: 6 (Rack EG4-LifePower4 48V 100AH) ~$10,000 (Maybe a Tesla?)
  • Add Hardware: ~$3,000 (Mountings / Racks / Cables)
  • System Installation: ????
Total: $27,000

Perhaps start with a 600kWh system (19 panels) with 2 hybrid inverters at half the cost and then add panels/batteries as needed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Solar-Excel.JPG
    Solar-Excel.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 6
You should be able to cut the panel price in half for that size panel. Where are you shopping?

You should be able to cut the panel price in half for that size panel. Where are you shopping?
Thanks for the fast response! I live in Puerto Rico, but I'm planning to buy in Continental US (Online) and consolidate in Jacksonville for a cheap Freight Shipping cost to PR. I haven't check prices locally yet, but usually they 30-40% higher than continental or they are cheap china systems (no brand). I'll like to buy/have a reliable brand system. Nevertheless I'll check local pricing and brands next week as I plan to take the plunge by next month.

I would suggest you anticipate the labor to be more or harder than expected. The thick wires are WAY WAY harder to deal with, and good system design is far less forgiving than grid AC . I have "traditional" wired many homes, and wired in many service panels. Installing the system this year was so much slower.

I would say over-panel now rather than over-battery. I would also add something like an IoTaWatt meter for you to better understand your home's loads and utilization. I do understand the freight challenges though with future additional batteries, but that would mainly be a hurricane benefit.

I use about 1,000kWh/month, and could easily get by with a 20kWh battery.

Back