diy solar

diy solar

Advice for non-solar power box / electric generator

UPDATE: Almost done! Functional and close enough for pictures. Missing DC outputs and some finishing touches like cable management on the inside.

Box.jpgAC Out.jpgAC In.jpg
Pelican Storm 2875 case, two AC out, one AC in, red disconnect/pre-charge switch. The blank hole is for a panel mount power pole thing from Powerwerx. I have that already wired with 45A contacts and inline fuses. I just need to cut the wire to length and attach them somewhere. The negative battery terminal is getting crowded!

Inside All.jpgInside AC In.jpgInside AC Out.jpg
Victron on the left, battery on the right. AC input is on the lower left, red switch lower right, AC outs on in the lid. AC wiring is NM-B 12/2, This is a bit stiff, I could have done with 14/2, or maybe even stranded. AC In runs thru the white dual pole 15A breaker on its way to the inverter. Each AC out line runs thru one side of a black dual pole 15A breaker then each on to their own GFCI adapter, then on to the AC outlet. I need to do some wire management and secure the breakers to the inside of the case.

On the battery, I have a voltage sense cable going to pos and neg, a temp sense cable going to neg, then neg running directly to the inverter. On the pos side, a terminal block fuse, then on to the disconnect switch

switch-front.jpgswitch-back.jpgInside Switch and GFCI.jpg
I'm using the 2-position disconnect switch to give me a pre-charge circuit. I'll always turn it on by going from Off to 1, waiting a few seconds then on to 1+2. See this post (and the whole thread for a longer discussion on pre-charging) for how I wired the switch.

Parts list (I'll add in prices and links as I have time to dig them up:

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Yup, even the 'compact' version is crazy big.

One thing I was considering but never did was to Glue or Screw something on the face of the switch to prevent it from going from off to on. Since the Perko works for me I never did it...

...One thing I was considering but never did was to Glue or Screw something on the face of the switch to prevent it from going from off to on...
?‍♂️ Man, I wish I thought of that! That's so simple! I bet just some built up hot glue would do it. If not I can find some scrap or screw as you suggested.I guess a fancy version would be a printed plastic part.

That is why I like this forum.... you get great ideas from a lot of people!!! I don't know how many times I read a post and had a slap-on-the-forhead why-didn't-I-think-of-that moment!!

Here is another idea I am thinking of
1581295982238.png1581296011285.png

I printed off the label and then 'laminated' it using packing tape on both sides. I haven't glued it on yet.

Note: I had to print several before I got the angles and size correct.

Back