diy solar

diy solar

Advice for setting up an off grid home in Baja

Lstyles

I want to set up a robust solar system for a vacation home in Baja. Looking to have a solar array of about 11kw (440 watt x 24 panels) with 30kwh battery (GSL 10kwh x 3). I was thinking that 2 mpp solar 6048s (or 6548)s) might be a good choice for all in one units to run all this. As I am not totally comfortable setting up a split phase system myself I want to hire someone down there to install it (while I watch and learn). I have a well respected/ recommended installer down there but he is reluctant to use Chinese all in one power units due to some bad experiences with pomcube system. He is suggesting an Outback Radian flexpower 8048 all in one but this is MUCH more expensive ($3k vs 8k). He is willing to install the mpp solar units but is “unenthusiastic” about having to go back and fix the mpp solar units if something goes wrong. I am thinking that at the Outback price point I could have 2-3 back up mpp solar units and still come out ahead. I would like to go the route of using the MPP solar units after seeing videos and Will’s recent video on installing essentially the same units that I want. He doesn’t seem to endorse sketchy products and I have seen other Youtubers report good results with the Mpp solar units as well. Obviously, being in Mexico makes repair/return a little more difficult but it would seem that installation will be about the same. I even have a Will’s video to show him!

Am I making a mistake here? Should I take the conservative approach and go with the Outback unit or take a chance with the Mpp solar units? (In case it’s not obvious, I am hoping you say the latter is okay ?).

mpp will be just fine.
either the installer has only worked with the outbacks, or he is hoping to sell you the radians.

they are good, no doubt, but you can buy almost 3 mpp solar units for 1 outback, which give you much more "umpf" and redundancy, even if one leaves to meet its maker

I’ve had a out back unit running for 3 plus years and it’s working sweet .
I have a friend that has been running the same out back equipment for almost 20 years he is on his third set of battery’s .
It still working but he had to up grade his charge controller .
To be fair the all in one systems where not around 5 years ago when I bought mine .
But I would rather have one out back system up and running then 3 other systems collecting dust .
Out back is 3 times the price for a reason.
They have been taking people off grid for ever .

I understand that Outback is a great brand and has a great reputation. I guess my question is whether Mpp solar units might be expected to also perform well. I don’t think I need the absolute best equipment for this system and frankly think the technology will advance quickly enough that there may be even something better out there in 5-10 years So something that will last that long is sufficient. I guess it is analogous trying to decide between Chins batteries and Battleborn Batteries.

My suggestion would be to use multiple stackable inverters rather than a single larger unit, that will offer redundancy and allow a single to run during low demand.

I hadn’t considered that. As a vacation home there will be lots of time when we aren’t there and so very low demand.

here's a 5 years review of a mpp solar inverter, where the guys has been able to do any maintanance for the last 2 years.

mind you, this is in south east asia..hot and humid

Thanks! This is very helpful and the kind of real world experience that I wanted to see. It won’t be two years between visits to the vacation home but it may be several months so nice to know that intermittent maintenance is okay. I recognize that the units I want to use have not been around for very long so getting information on longevity is going to be hard, however, it’s good to see that their earlier products are still holding up!

Thanks! This is very helpful and the kind of real world experience that I wanted to see. It won’t be two years between visits to the vacation home but it may be several months so nice to know that intermittent maintenance is okay. I recognize that the units I want to use have not been around for very long so getting information on longevity is going to be hard, however, it’s good to see that their earlier products are still holding up!
i had my MPP Solar MPI's running for 5 years non stop in my old house with-out issue, if that eases your mind.
however i never came close to maxing both 10kw unit out.
that being said... and that is why i am such an advocate for redundancy, one can always get a "monday morning trouble child" or murphy coming around, and always at a unfortunate timing
i'd much rather get multiple unit that may or may not be top efficient or may or may not be a "top" brand for my budget, simply because i go by "one is none"

@Lstyles What problems with pomcube has your friend had? I have been using them for over a year now along with another local user.

I don’t have any details but he has seen some failures and says set up is complicated. He did note that some others have had no problems. I will not that the Pomcube system is more expensive as well.
I like the idea of redundancy especially as the house is in an isolated area. Two of the 6048 or 6548 units will allow me to keep system up even if one fails (albeit with less capacity). Now I just have to decide between 6548 and 6048. Essentially the same price but 6048 can provide 120 and 240 as single unit while 6548 needs two units to provide 240. Lastly, mpp is coming out with a new LVX6048WP which is waterproof and I am guessing a little more able to stand up to the elements (also a little more expensive). I am currently thinking that the newer 6048 wp would be the best choice. Maybe I am missing some advantage to the 6548?? Will used those and he responded to my post on one of his videos that his 6548s have been running well without issue.

if you dont need the 240v just stick with the120v, The idle power is on the high side for the dual inverter units. I only have 240v for my heat pumps.

Are the Sungold inverters considered as good as the Outbacks ?
I also would like to go with two 6048 or 6548's, but my friend who is an electrical contractor says to buy the Sungold.

I will need 240v as I will have mini-splits and induction cooktop so most of the larger of these units need 240volt. I am not too concerned about the idle power and I think I have accounted for it in my calculations.

Are the Sungold inverters considered as good as the Outbacks ?
I also would like to go with two 6048 or 6548's, but my friend who is an electrical contractor says to buy the Sungold.
they look at lot like sigineer..
dont know about them...

they look at lot like sigineer..
dont know about them...

You are correct, the Sigineer is the same only $455 cheaper, the idle consumption is ridiculous 225W, that equates to 5.54kWh per day, 1 kWh in search mode, the charging and dischargeing LBCO voltages are fixed to a battery type defaults, the price is good though, but as with most things you get what you pay for.

You are correct, the Sigineer is the same only $455 cheaper, the idle consumption is ridiculous 225W, that equates to 5.54kWh per day, 1 kWh in search mode, the charging and dischargeing LBCO voltages are fixed to a battery type defaults, the price is good though, but as with most things you get what you pay for.
Are you familiar with the Sungold ? Sounds like you are saying the Sungold is better than the Sigineer ? How does Sungold compare to the Outback ?

Are you familiar with the Sungold ? Sounds like you are saying the Sungold is better than the Sigineer ? How does Sungold compare to the Outback ?

Sungold and and Sigineer appear to be the exact same unit, just a different color,, personally I've had no experience with either, the refeence
to " you get what you pay for ", was comparing them to professional equipment like Outback , Schneider, and SMA for example, which allow custom settings, which is important for use with LiFePo4, they may otherwise be extremely reliable.

I have 2 x MPP 6KW inverters and they cannot do 6kw. It trips out on my espresso machine. I am returning them. I am upgrading to one 18kw Sungold unit. They are basic when it comes to features but they work. It does support lifepo4 batteries. The other brands like outback are better and have more control and flexibility with software but are double the price.

Back