diy solar

diy solar

Advice Needed Please for UK DIY Solar installation (Complete Beginner)

lisam

Advice Needed Please for UK DIY Solar installation (Complete Beginner)

Very good day to you all!?️
Your expertise, knowledge and advice much needed please. I am totally new so lots of very basic, verging on silly, questions.
We will be renovating our house in full, full electricity rewiring, new boiler... the lot and building an outbuilding. I would like the main house and the outbuilding to draw less power off the grid and... maybe pay less for energy. Considering DIY solar panels on the outbuilding sloping roof (roof size approximately 10mx5m), basic map attached. My husband is more than an 'advanced' DIYer (too expensive to get a solar installer only for a certificate and sale back to the grid). We are in Kent, the outbuilding will be at the back of the garden about 20-22 meters away from the house. We use approximately 3,500-4000 kWh/year, use some energy during the day, heating and power in the late afternoon & evening.
-The roof area is not completely rectangle, see attached picture, but roughly 10mx5m roof with solar panels, how much energy does it actually produce say in winter. Erm.. enough for heating with combi boiler? We are happy to spend on something that is good quality and will last the test of time.

What do we need:
- Is there a specific cable to transport power from solar panels on the outbuilding to the main house?
- What will we need to connect to effectively connect it to the house power system (sorry stupid question)?
- What's the best solar panels, controller, inverter (or is there a system or brand you need to stick to) in our situation? What are the components we need to buy (panels, controller, inverter?)
- Battery/ies for excess energy, will we even need it, will there be enough power left over? If we will, is it viable, how long does it hold power for, how long do they last before replacement is needed? What options are available in the UK and how roughly much does it cost?
- What type of boiler would be most suitable for us? What are the 'best' brands or types out there?
-An electrician will be doing electrical rewiring, so I suppose normal electrician has the knowledge to connect this to the main house and double check everything?
-Anything else I haven't thought of?

Roof
-Is there a specific roof covering to use? we wanted to use MSR.
-Is there a minimum angle for the roof slope?

Thanks very much for reading and your help x

Attachments

• Solar.PNG
    Solar.PNG
    821.2 KB · Views: 10
Solar panels are not worthwhile for heating in the UK.
Better to buy a wood burning stove.

Solar panels are not worthwhile for heating in the UK.
Better to buy a wood burning stove.
Or look into evacuated tubes and a cylinder setup if there is just two of you, you could maybe get by with both of you sacrificing some shower time etc you’d probably need an unvented engineer with solar experience though.

Back