diy solar

diy solar

advice on a Bluetti AC 500 solar setup - pushing my limits?

jsrore

We purchased the AC500 + 1 batt about 3 months ago for our off grid cabin we are building in Idaho, have not set it up yet as the weather is keeping us away from the property, we all ready have solar a system set up in the 5th wheel plus a 10K genny as back up on the property now. since the solar inputs on the AC 500 are 1500 W, 150 V on each DC1 and DC2 i have configured my charging set up as follows. DC1…SIX Renogy 100W, 24.3 V, 5.21 A = 600W, 145.8 V, 5.21 A in series… DC2…FOUR used SanTan 250W, 37.6 V, 8.85 A = 1000W, 150.4 V, 8.85 A…BS300S batt…ONE used SanTan 250W, 37.6 V, 8.85A…my question do you think im too close on the voltage with the Renogy and the used SanTan panels…i know im right at the max with the SanTan but being used i assume i will not get the max output…or should i not assume??? all advice is appreciated. …Thanks Jeff

We purchased the AC500 + 1 batt about 3 months ago for our off grid cabin we are building in Idaho, have not set it up yet as the weather is keeping us away from the property, we all ready have solar a system set up in the 5th wheel plus a 10K genny as back up on the property now. since the solar inputs on the AC 500 are 1500 W, 150 V on each DC1 and DC2 i have configured my charging set up as follows. DC1…SIX Renogy 100W, 24.3 V, 5.21 A = 600W, 145.8 V, 5.21 A in series… DC2…FOUR used SanTan 250W, 37.6 V, 8.85 A = 1000W, 150.4 V, 8.85 A…BS300S batt…ONE used SanTan 250W, 37.6 V, 8.85A…my question do you think im too close on the voltage with the Renogy and the used SanTan panels…i know im right at the max with the SanTan but being used i assume i will not get the max output…or should i not assume??? all advice is appreciated. …Thanks Jeff
I would say don’t assume.
I bought a very used and battered 315w panel and have seen 340w out of it, and 320-330w fairly regularly in ideal conditions.

Update: today it was cool (40’s F) and cloudy with some sporadic sun. I saw that very used and battered 315 watt panel hit 370 watts momentarily, and hover between 340-365 for a few minutes until clouds came back. Not bad for a $100 panel.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice so far, i may re think the SanTan as they are right at the max voltage for the AC500, to be safe cut it down by one panel and monitor the output

It sounds like you have a great setup for your off-grid cabin in Idaho! As a solar panel installer, I would recommend that you ensure that the voltage of your solar panels is within the range recommended by the AC500 specifications. If the voltage is too high, it could potentially damage the AC500 or other components of your solar energy system.

Very bland comment with no specifics. You're an installer, maybe not a designer. If you presented the method for calculating voltage produced and determining if it is acceptable, that would be useful.

He may have given enough info to do a preliminary evaluation. You could have done that and told him if it was at risk, and explained how it might work for a while, why it could fail later.

Regarding the Renogy and SanTan panels, it's important to note that the voltage of solar panels can vary depending on factors such as temperature and shading. Therefore, it's always a good idea to monitor the voltage output of your panels and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that they are operating within safe parameters.

Correct on temperature. Now how about explaining how to analyze that, and ensure positive margin?

I disagree with the monitor and adjust part. Calculate in advance, not monitor and adjust. Then after assembling the array, measure voltage before connecting to equipment, and confirm it is as expected. Polarity too. An anomalous voltage could indicate wired incorrectly.

You also did not address his thought that being used the panels would produce lower voltage, giving some margin.
The panels might produce less current, but likely very close to full voltage. No additional margin.

Additionally, using used panels can be a bit of a gamble as you may not know their history or whether they have been properly maintained. However, if you have tested them and they are producing the expected output, then they should be fine to use in your system.

:ROFLMAO: maintained :ROFLMAO:

How do you "maintain" panels and what happens to them if you don't?
How do you suggest testing a panel and finding what output it (a single panel) produces?

One of those vendors, by the way (Santan) is very good about taking care of faulty or damaged panels. But due to shipping cost it is recommended to order a few spares up front.

Overall, it's great to see that you are taking a thoughtful approach to your <link "solar energy system"> and seeking advice when needed.

Links promoting your own business are not allowed. Delete it.
Links pointing to unaffiliated business are OK, e.g. we may link to Santan or an Amazon listing.
"Affiliate" links that earn money for anyone are not allowed.

Amazing that council bluffs solar has posted 3 times, each with a link to their website. I guess I'm not surprised. At least they deleted the link in one of their posts.

Edit: at least I thought they removed the link on one of their posts. But I stand corrected.

Amazing that council bluffs solar has posted 3 times, each with a link to their website. I guess I'm not surprised. At least they deleted the link in one of their posts.

Edit: at least I thought they removed the link on one of their posts. But I stand corrected.

I deleted one of the posts. The forum member has been warned. In this thread and the other thread, replies have been made to the post taking issue with the technical content, so I'm waiting on a higher power to provide guidance on how to proceed.

Back