diy solar

diy solar

Advice on charging E bike from RV full timer

Btsunrader

I am trying to decide if i can bring a small e-bike with me on the road
NOTE: have not purchased one yet

Current system: 200ah Lipo4cells 12V (4cells)
Controller: Victron 100/30
Single solar panel: 365w
No Inverter at this time.
I am willing to make adjustments to my system to accommodate the need for a second source of transportation within limits.
I can not change the solar panel.
Photo or rig Included hopefully you can see solar panel location right on top, in front

Thank you for your help and advice.

Attachments

• Rader new.JPG
    Rader new.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 5
Getting the bike in your camper should be easy.
Charging it without an inverter may be the challenge. Different ebikes have different size batteries and they are more likely greater than 12 volts. Once you know the charging voltage you can compare the cost of a charger that would run off your 12 volt set up or a small inverter so you can use the charger that came with your bike. I don't know which would be more efficient but either way disconnect the inverter or chzrger when done because they do have overhead that could deplete your house batteries.

Getting the bike in your camper should be easy.
Charging it without an inverter may be the challenge. Different ebikes have different size batteries and they are more likely greater than 12 volts. Once you know the charging voltage you can compare the cost of a charger that would run off your 12 volt set up or a small inverter so you can use the charger that came with your bike. I don't know which would be more efficient but either way disconnect the inverter or chzrger when done because they do have overhead that could deplete your house batteries.
Ok so i know i would need a inverter, my BMS is rated for 130amps so i could only do a 1500watt inverter. but being full time how effecint would my system work to charge an e-bike and which e-bike battery ect would you all recommend for my system, as i know they are many to choose from and would not want to $ one that would require more than i could supply. Thanks I have watched some youtube vids but frankley i have a hard time trusting someone that it trying to sell something. HAHA

The best e bike advice I can give you is to go to endless-spere.com for specific ebike suggestions or how to build your own. Also become familiar with the fundemental terms of energy such as Volts, Amps and Watts so you can size your components efficiently. There are good resources here for that. I would not size an inverter to the max capacity of your BMS. I would size it large enough to charge your e bike at a rate that is consistent with your source of energy. What I am saying is that ebike chargers come in different Amperages and you would want to pick one that does not exceed your solar panels capacity to recharge your house batteries. All of that is moot if you have a hookup.

Wait if i size the inverter larger than the BMS can handle, wouldn't it damage the BMS ? I am going off of what i have heard WIll say on sizing an inverter? also do E-bikes require more than 130amps to charge?

I am going off of what i have heard WIll say on sizing an inverter?
I think Will would agree that an inverter should be sized for the loads.
also do E-bikes require more than 130amps to charge?
Only ebikes that are designed for drag racing and at that rate they would probably be called e motorcycles. It depends on how fast and how far you want to go on your ebike. With pedal assist at a liesurely pace I only use 50 Watts per mile. Climbing hills takes a whole lot more, especially when I am too tired to pedal. I charge overnight so I don't need a Supercharger sized charger for my ebike.

Last edited:
I keep a Glion Dolly electric folding scooter in the van and charge it by inverter from my system. I have lead-chemistry batteries so I wait until Absorption is underway and excess power is present. That's not a concern with Lithium (assuming overall charging needs are met).

For the OP, here is another thread that might be informative:
Also at the bottom of each thread are suggestions for similar threads that can provide additional knowledge. Starting with a scooter as @fraternus did can be a less expensive way to begin the journey. My early experience with my first ebike was that I was totally ignorant of consumption versus capacity and several journeys ended with me walking or pedaling home after depleting the battery. That is much easier done with a scooter than a heavy ebike.

Last edited:
With a small (400 watt?} inverter you should be fine. My system is a little bigger than yours, 300Ah batteries, 800 watts panels, 2000 watt inverter, but I was able to do an experiment a couple weeks ago.

A couple camping next to us had two of the Rad bikes. They have a 48V 14Ah battery., I offered to charge the bikes for them as I wanted to see haw my system handled it as I am interested in getting powered bikes. Both of the bikes batteries were around 40% SOC

The charger was a 48V 2A AC powered unit. Turned the inverter on, plugged in. . My house battery was at about 95% SOC. My inverter panel showed 99-102 watt draw most of the day. This makes sense with the math for the bike batteries and my house batteries still reached 100% by the end of the day.

Edit: to add I charged the bikes one at a time

Just doing the math for one of these particular bike batteries and your 200AH house battery, even if you had NO solar input, charging the bike would use about 25% of your 200Ah.

Last edited:
With a small (400 watt?} inverter you should be fine. My system is a little bigger than yours, 300Ah batteries, 800 watts panels, 2000 watt inverter, but I was able to do an experiment a couple weeks ago.

A couple camping next to us had two of the Rad bikes. They have a 48V 14Ah battery., I offered to charge the bikes for them as I wanted to see haw my system handled it as I am interested in getting powered bikes. Both of the bikes batteries were around 40% SOC

The charger was a 48V 2A AC powered unit. Turned the inverter on, plugged in. . My house battery was at about 95% SOC. My inverter panel showed 99-102 watt draw most of the day. This makes sense with the math for the bike batteries and my house batteries still reached 100% by the end of the day.

Edit: to add I charged the bikes one at a time

Just doing the math for one of these particular bike batteries and your 200AH house battery, even if you had NO solar input, charging the bike would use about 25% of your 200Ah.
Thanks great info, would getting an ebike with larger battery like a 52 volt 20ah +required charger be more efficient charging? kinda like using 12volts vs 24volt system as far a charging efficiency? thanks again

Thanks great info, would getting an ebike with larger battery like a 52 volt 20ah +required charger be more efficient charging? kinda like using 12volts vs 24volt system as far a charging efficiency? thanks again

Efficiency would depend on the charger and your inverter but your example of battery would take 1040Whrs to fill and mine above would take 672Whrs. and of course those numbers affect how far and how fast you get down the road

The charger for the Rad bikes barely got warm so I think it was pretty efficiently doing its job

Efficiency would depend on the charger and your inverter but your example of battery would take 1040Whrs to fill and mine above would take 672Whrs. and of course those numbers affect how far and how fast you get down the road

The charger for the Rad bikes barely got warm so I think it was pretty efficiently doing its job
great info thanks again

Back