diy solar

diy solar

Advice on Fuses/Breakers

BeardedShaman

Below are purchased components that I am trying to wire up now. I am looking for advice on the best way logistically to do this. I would think I would need a fuse/disconnect from panels to inverter. The LVX6048 can use 450V PV input at 27 Amps. What is the best way to wire these panels together and get them to the inverter?

Should I have a bus bar for positive and negative on the batteries and a fuse/breaker/disconnect from battery bank to inverter?

Solar Design v2.jpg

Since the specs of the solar panels you will use are not included, this is a bit of a generic answer: The easiest way would be to simply use MC4 "Y" connectors to combine the 2 stings. MC4 connectors are rated for maximum of 10AWG wire so as long as the total current is not more than about 25Amps and the length of wire is 50 feet or less this will work. The better way would be use the "Y" connector to combine the 2 strings then take the single output of one "Y" connector and run it through a disconnect switch near the panel array. Then the output from the DC disconnect you could use larger wire if needed for a longer run to the inverter. Of course you could also fuse each of the 2 strings of panels with a fuse rated at 125% of max current expected per string.

With 4 batteries you should definitely run equal length cables to a large bus bar then feed the inverter with 1 properly sized + and - cable to the Inverter. David Poz has a very good YT video on this subject.

I believe the SOK battery has a 100 amp breaker. 4 of them could potentially deliver 400 amps so the connection from the bus bar to the inverter should be fused at 125% of the maximum that the LVX 6048 would draw which is much less than 400 amps.

Back