diy solar

diy solar

Advice on how to expand my existing 48v battery bank?

iSwannie

Now that's WATT I am Talking About!
Hello Solar World,

I currently have 2 LiFePo4 24v 170ah 4.3kwh Big Battery Hawks in series to create 48v. What options do I have to increase the amp hours with another 48v in parallel? I do not feel comfortable building my own batteries but would prefer a plug & play option? I also have concerns buying the Hawks again after hearing about the leaks.
Any recommendations?

My main recommendation about running 2 banks or multiple banks to a common DC bus, is just make sure each battery bank has its own DC circuit breaker on it, so if there ever is a short or high current condition on one bank, it will break that bank off the main DC bus. They also give you a handy means of quick disconnect to perform maintenance or troubleshooting on your system, since you can turn one bank off, do some work on it and turn it back on at the circuit breaker.

Also, may want to make sure your banks have similar performance characteristics... Say you had one bank that is 8 years old and you add in another brand new one, the poor performing one can drag down the performance of the good one. If one is 1 year or 2 old, and the other one is new, I may not worry about it as much (as they are parallel)... Might keep an eye on their performance characteristics for awhile to make sure they work well and call it good.

My main recommendation about running 2 banks or multiple banks to a common DC bus, is just make sure each battery bank has its own DC circuit breaker on it, so if there ever is a short or high current condition on one bank, it will break that bank off the main DC bus. They also give you a handy means of quick disconnect to perform maintenance or troubleshooting on your system, since you can turn one bank off, do some work on it and turn it back on at the circuit breaker.

Also, may want to make sure your banks have similar performance characteristics... Say you had one bank that is 8 years old and you add in another brand new one, the poor performing one can drag down the performance of the good one. If one is 1 year or 2 old, and the other one is new, I may not worry about it as much (as they are parallel)... Might keep an eye on their performance characteristics for awhile to make sure they work well and call it good.
Thank you so much for the reply and recommendation!

Thanks for your explanation, since I’m quite new in this DIY solar business I just want to verify that I understood your answer correct before I run away to the store. :)

I’m thinking of getting myself 4 or 8 cells of the https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035453389.html , however how sensitive would the bank be to be upgraded with 4 or 8 more cells (same type of cells) within a year or so if I decide to either bump the amps or voltage of my system?

If I run them in parallel with a DC bus I take it that I should be grand but I I decide to go down the “in series“ road and aim for 24v would I then have to rebuild the system and buy new cells?

Yeah I wouldn't recommend mixing cells on series, well you could, but the pack will only perform as good as the worst Ah cell in the string. On parallel, I'm not really worried if 2 packs would perform a bit different, it will just come out in the Ah capacity as different (like having one lung that's smaller than the other, you would really notice it in your breathing).

Will actually recommends capacity testing each cell individually before building a series pack, so you have a predictable benchmark for your pack, then if you have some extra cells laying around for example, you could mix and match cells to find the most like-performing cells to go in your pack. Generally, battery cell vendors (good ones anyways), are supposed to be matching cells that are pretty close to identical in orders when you get say, a 4x or 8x or 16x pack)...

Or if you don't just happen to carry a 'handful' of spare cells on your shelf (like I don't), then at least you'll have an idea of what you can expect out of the pack, because you know the cell with the lowest capacity, and if you find 1 or 2 cells that are really far under spec, you can replace those cells or get the vendor to replace them, if they aren't performing to their advertised spec.

I would rather just decide on a voltage you want to run, stick with it, like if it's 48v then just buy 16x cells and build a full pack. Then later build another and parallel it, etc...

On a side note, for my most recent 12v RV battery build I went with 8 cells from these guys: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000948488435.html

Back when I bought them in October last year they were running around $1050, seems the prices are a bit higher these days. Back then I saw some vendors selling 8x 280Ah cells for as low as $800-ish, I bought these ones for $1050 because the seller had good rating/reviews and they used better quality copper (flexible) bus bars (mine look just like the ones in the pictures there).

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning, I’m now on the same page and should hopefully be able to figure out what route to go from here.

Thanks a ton for your thoughts and expertise!

Back