diy solar

diy solar

Advice on New Installation

Why2Me

I need advice on a planned new installation
I am in Wisconsin
I have space for a ground panel installation
I plan only to offset some of my grid use
I have optimized my energy consumption as much as possible (I still need about 2000 kWh per month)
Home has a 200Amp Main panel in the basement, but service entrance is a on side of the attached garage 30 ft away
There is an essential circuit subpanel installed with a manual transfer switch (RONK 7103) in place. There is supply from a generator (A-iPower SUA12000E) placed outside the garage, cable is about 40 ft. The generator does not have remote start capability and is able to carry the essential circuits providing 240v

Option 1
Replace the RONK with an automatic transfer switch (such as ASCO 185) rated at 100Amp (same as the RONK) and install the manual switch in the garage to change from an inverter to generator if there no grid power and no inverter power
The ATS will provide primary supply for the essential circuit from solar/generator with grid backup
I will NOT need to run new cables at this time
I can use any off-grid inverter

Option 2
Relocate the transfer switch to the garage (40ft away)
Install an inverter with integrated ATS, primary supply will be solar. (Will prefer one with the ability to augment solar power with grid power as well provide 2 AC inputs)
Will need to run new lines from main panel to inverter and back to essential circuit subpanel

Welcome to the forums!

I believe Wisconsin has a good net-metering agreement, so changing out the transfer switch wouldn't be a priority for me. I'd do a grid-tied inverter.

With a hybrid like the Skybox you could hook up to the grid so you're recouping your investment and can still wire to the critical circuits.
You'll most likely need a physical disconnect on the PV system so it can't be back-fed by the generator (some systems (e.g., Enphase) do allow power from a generator and solar panels at the same time, but the generator has to be very low distortion).

Hope that helps and wish you luck in your project!

I believe Wisconsin has a good net-metering agreement, so changing out the transfer switch wouldn't be a priority for me. I'd do a grid-tied inverter.

Thanks for the response

Where will the grid-tied inverter be placed, before the main panel or before the essential circuit subpanel?

Depends on what you pick to some extent, here's a sample possibility from the Sol-Ark manual:

1640886541604.png

Back