diy solar

diy solar

Advice on setup

Death_Dealer79

I currently have 4 335 watt panels, and a EMC² standby power supply. I have a Missouri Winds 24v controller but have decided to go with a MPP or 2. The end goal is to run what I have in my RV completely off of solar and eventually a portable windmill. I have regular sized stackable washer and dryer, a full size refrigerator, electric stove,TV, microwave, and lights. Ac, furnace,water heater. What do you think I will need to output to achieve freedom? I know I need batteries and not sure if this backup will even work with this. Please advise ? I am fully novice here.

Attachments

• 20210930_134835.jpg
    20210930_134835.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2
Look up the info on here regarding “power audit” and do that, come back and share

I’m usually fairly comfortable making wildhat guesses but like to see that followed with math and science; I’m not comfortable guessing here- because for sure ~1350W of panel ain’t gonna do it. You essentially have everything an average house would have with unknown usage data.

I’m certainly no guru or authority on this stuff but I do think that, often, (informed) wild guessing stimulates useful thought and discussion to actually come up with a scientific useful answer. In your case the potential demands are so high that any “guess” would be totally making stuff up and not formulating an educated guess.

I have 4 x 300w panels on my cargo trailer -> camper conversion mounted flat (not optimal). The panels produce around 6kwh/day in summer. If you do something to let them tilt to sun - you might get that up to 8kwh/day in summer. Winter is 25% of summer where I live - e.g. 1.5kwh-2kwh/day.

Battery wise you'll need at least 6kwh/day for 24hrs of operation (thru the night of steady power) in summer.

The 9000BUT mini-split uses about 5kwh/day to cool up to 100F and heat down to 32F.

With the numbers above - I could 'have a chance' to run the trailer 24/7 in full-sun climates. In winter climates I'd have to curtail useage drastically - but 2kwh/day is still better than nothing and a generator can supplement or set out additional panels.

I hope the these numbers will give you some guidance - and I agree with @12VoltInstalls - you need to do an energy audit to see how well they will fit in the kwh/day I've outlined above :)

9000BUT mini-split uses about 5kwh/day to cool up to 100F and heat down to 32F.
How many BUTs in a btu? I guess that depends on whether the guy is selling propane or heating oil. :)

So basically a 2000W array could do this?

What model minisplit? Is it truly a differential+resistance heater or does it make heat exclusively by the “pump?”
I admit that other than watts I know nothing of these units- I’m an idiot here.

I’ve never been that interested in one of these and I don’t know why but you just piqued my interest.

9000BUT mini-split uses about 5kwh/day to cool up to 100F and heat down to 32F.
How many BUTs in a btu? I guess that depends on whether the guy is selling propane or heating oil. :)

What model minisplit? Is it truly a differential+resistance heater or does it make heat exclusively by the “pump?”
I admit that other than watts I know nothing of these units- I’m an idiot here

I’ve never been that interested in one of these and I don’t know why but you just piqued my interest.

:)

I admit that other than watts I know nothing of these units- I’m an idiot here
A mini-split is a heat pump for both cool and hot and quiet/efficient. I have this one installed - https://senville.com/9000-btu-mini-...5e1087-5c5cb6b52d-164704750&mc_cid=5c5cb6b52d Its whisper quiet both inside and out. *They make an extreme weather one as well but.

They also make heat-pump based window units and some are a bit less BTU. 9000BTU for a 7 x 14 trailer is overkill but its a common (cheaper) size for mini-splits. Some of the Home Depot "Mr. Cool"(s) don't need you to vacuum the the line - but you have to read the fine print. It wasn't hard - just had to buy a vacuum pump - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CFTYX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a fitting - you can see this on youtube depending on the model you choose.

The 9000BTU is 'variable speed motor' technology - e.g. doesn't have 'hard start'. It pull 1100watts absolute max but typically runs between 300w and 500w. These units are just 'very efficient' and 'quiet' and do both heat and cool.
1633451458534.png

So ~ 100A at 12V startup, 30-40A running.
I’d probably want a better inverter- although that could be a fun durability test for giandel 1200W (or the new 1500W still in the box). And way more panels, batteries, and a huger charger controller.

I’m not sure if I should do that until next year. I don’t think I could pull that off in a Vermont winter.

Does it dehumidify? I.E. does it exchange any air, or just remote placement with a drain tube?

Back