diy solar

diy solar

*Advice please* , can I improve this with proper leads. *Advice needed*

atvuornf

I do need advice, I'm a complete novice.

I have the Poweroak/Bluetti EB1500, I wanted to charge it whilst on the move, I bought the DC050S which isn't available in the UK, so got it from Germany. I tried it quickly, it does work?

It charges at 100w and 120w with engine running, the cigarette lighter plug gets warm on the end, would you advise that I make some leads and connect it directly to my battery with 6mm eyelets,

Also any tips on making up XT90 leads, I bought these.

plugs.JPGdc505s.2JPG.JPG

Last edited:
Not saying this is best or just another way, but I typically like to use Anderson connectors for making DC connections. They come with various different sizes to support whatever amp load you might need.

Latest ones I just put on my truck to connect a set of 25 ft long jumper cables, and for connecting an external 1000w inverter (they sell much smaller amp-rated ones too, these are 175a, big)...

1639943753181.jpeg

1639943777765.jpeg

Thanks, I think I'll have to stick with XT90 as that's what the (DC) unit accepts.

I do need advice, I'm a complete novice.

I have the Poweroak/Bluetti EB1500, I wanted to charge it whilst on the move, I bought the DC050S which isn't available in the UK, so got it from Germany. I tried it quickly, it does work?

It charges at 100w and 120w with engine running, the cigarette lighter plug gets warm on the end, would you advise that I make some leads and connect it directly to my battery with 6mm eyelets,

Also any tips on making up XT90 leads, I bought these.

View attachment 75964View attachment 75965
Generally speaking a lighter/power port are good for ten amps. XT 90 will work but be mindful of the voltage drop on the wire size to the battery.

Thanks, I think I'll have to stick with XT90 as that's what the (DC) unit accepts.

My apologies, I had been thinking you would make a cord with like XT90 on one end and some kind of other connector on other end. If you want to stick with XT90, I suppose you could just make a cord with XT90 on both ends, however you prefer.

Will I get more power and more watts, if connected directly to the battery with the engine running compared to the cigarette lighter which got warm after a few minuities.

I personally like the idea best of wiring a fresh circuit right to the battery.

It kinda follows the same logic like on car audio when you want to put in a big bass amp in the trunk. You don't trust that any existing factory circuits on the car would have the ability to supply the current you'd need to run it, so you simply wire in your own new circuit using the gauge cable you want and put your own selected fuse size on it. You can string that cable anywhere you like on the vehicle, and put the plug in any convenient location where you'd use it most easy, and it has direct access to the battery (without affecting any other circuits on the vehicle).

The stock cigarette lighter plug will be limited to no more amps than the fuse which protects that circuit.

Will I get more power and more watts, if connected directly to the battery with the engine running compared to the cigarette lighter which got warm after a few minuities.
I am also wondering the same. So if anyone has tried to charge an EB150 with this from the car battery directly and it charges faster than the original charger I would definitely buy it.

Today I have a pure sine wave inverter wired from the car battery to the back of it where i plugged in the original charger and it works fine.

I am also wondering the same. So if anyone has tried to charge an EB150 with this from the car battery directly and it charges faster than the original charger I would definitely buy it.

Today I have a pure sine wave inverter wired from the car battery to the back of it where i plugged in the original charger and it works fine.
The most I can get from the DC050S is about 119watts from the battery, with the engine running. This is better than 85watts from the cigarette lighter with engine off. No matter what size leads I use, I did plu in a 300w panel and managed 270w input which is better than the UK mains adapter.
I hope this helps.
How much input from the inverter?

The most I can get from the DC050S is about 119watts from the battery, with the engine running. This is better than 85watts from the cigarette lighter with engine off. No matter what size leads I use, I did plu in a 300w panel and managed 270w input which is better than the UK mains adapter.
I hope this helps.
How much input from the inverter?
Thanks for your response! Glad I didn't buy the DC050S. The current pure sine inverter I have wired is 300w: Link

Then i plug in the standard wall charger that came with the eb150 into it and I get it to charge like normal ~200w.

I am going to upgrade my inverter to 700W and get the T500 to charge it at 500w while on the road. Will report back with my findings. I am looking at this renogy one since it has the switch which makes it easier to flip it on and off instead of having to fiddle with it under the seat.

The Canadian bluetti site says its compatible with the EB150 Link while the American doesn't specifically list it so wish me luck ?

A quick update. I got the T500 charger and it does charge the eb150 at about ~480W from the wall. I will say the brick is a bit bigger than the original one by like 30% and the fan sound level also increases by 30%.

Waiting on the inverter now!

Last edited:
Back