diy solar

diy solar

Advice/Suggestions Off Grid Plans

Andy M

Proposing system below. We have been monitoring our usage for about three years running only on generators. Cabin is in Upper Michigan. This is not a full time residence. Reading about grounding, very overwhelming. I was thinking about adding a 3rd. ground rod at power shed also and drop a #8 bare copper in trench from each ground rod to main cabin ground rod. Main 120 volt electric panel is located at cabin. Thoughts appreciated.Thanks in advance.offgrid 1.jpg

1) The array itself is only grounding the panel frames & rails and should be ground close to the panels. Lightning Travel is bad !
2) proper grounding rods or plates are not expensive and the #8 or even #6 bare copper is pretty standard, I prefer the green sheathed wire myself.
3) Check with your State Electrical Code on multiple grounding points for AC Power, some allow it but most do not, they can cause problems.

Usually one Grounding Rod or Plate is sufficient (located off main panel) it should run at least 24-30 inches from the side of the building and 2-3' deep in soil.

Everything else looks good, although the 60A breaker at the incoming SCC should be 30A not 60A (not rated higher than what comes from the combiner, otherwise it will never trigger in time. Your setup is very similar to how I am setup, Even only using 120VAC and bridged AC Breaker Panel. Peak at "About my system" link in my signature. different equipment but same setup.

Proposing system below. We have been monitoring our usage for about three years running only on generators. Cabin is in Upper Michigan. This is not a full time residence. Reading about grounding, very overwhelming. I was thinking about adding a 3rd. ground rod at power shed also and drop a #8 bare copper in trench from each ground rod to main cabin ground rod. Main 120 volt electric panel is located at cabin. Thoughts appreciated.Thanks in advance.View attachment 5867
Great diagram. What did you use to make it? Thx.

The main concept I got from a old Home Power Magazine article, then copy and paste. I then used a standard paint program in windows 7.

Thx. Was hoping it was an off the shelf program with solar/wiring graphics. Ah well. Any chance you could attach the work file?

Back