diy solar

diy solar

Advice to purchase solar panels. 7.5'x16' cargo trailer. Ecoflow Delta Pro.

When you say AIO, are you referring to something like the Growatt 3000
Yes. A lot more usefulness for the dollars spent.
the expandable Delta Pro batteries are right in line with these numbers.
I think those batteries are great. But so are Cadillacs. Way more money for getting point A to point B.
A 2000W Reliable inverter plus some better quality low-priced brand batteries isn’t a suitcase price even with your $800 savings.

But you know your needs. I personally would not want to depend on one; I can’t just plug a spare inverter in if something goes wrong.

Ymmv

Been interested in opening one of these units to see what exactly is running from the inside to the outside. Just a compressor output and input copper line? If it could be split "easily" to make a wall hanging unit but with minimal hole cut in wall, would make a low cost mini-split to hang high on the front of the trailer. Maybe just a thought experiment. I've seen some guys break down a standard window unit and mount the condenser under a van. This seems like it may work better since it is almost 2 components already. Especially if the compressor is in the "outdoor" half as that generates heat.

Saddle Wall Unit

View attachment 89005
I've seen this unit too and pondered it.

While mini-split is the most efficient have you thought about something like this unit? Pioneer 9000
I know it isn't the highest BTU but the packaging may work well.

Have been thinking about mini-split at the V on a trailer also. Do you have a narrow or deep V? Is there room enough for the outside unit to sit on the frame rails and not interfere with the tongue jack?
I found this on Dometic's (UK) website. It's probably the same Pioneer 9000 unit.

I personally pondered (for a long time) the trailer purchase. I looked and looked and looked. Used, new, steel frame, aluminum, craig's list, marketplace were all on the table. I live in the city, and maneuvering/parking on my property is tricky. I went for a new 7.5x16' all aluminum trailer ATC brand name. The 7.5' wide trailer actually allows the tow vehicle to see around the trailer in the side view mirrors. This is amazingly useful going down the highway. The small campers I pulled prior were total "blind spot" blockers. My friend has an Airstream Basecamp which is narrow as well. He also appreciates the view from his side mirror for safety reason. The trailer was purchased January 2021 ($10,000) when inventory and options were limited. The all aluminum trailer cost was 30% more than a steel, but the weight savings was worth it. PLUS the fit and finish far exceeded a regular steel frame trailer. I'm driving a mid-sized SUV which limits tow capacity. Daily driving a larger-towing-capable truck in the city, isn't a great experience. The aluminum trailer is 2500 pounds and the steel was 3500 pounds (roughly). It seemed like a no brainer to have a lighter weight better built trailer.....and NO RUST! I've never regretted the choice......my wallet hurts a little more, but it's all expensive. My build cost is still less than the-crap-build quality of traditional campers.

I don't have a build site. Honestly, I was bit apprehensive to show how/what I was doing. Mostly, because it's not an "instagram" trailer. Additionally, I'm doing the build "backwards". Everyone pulls the plywood and insulates first. Not knowing where and how everything fits together prior to insulating doesn't really help. The trailer cabinets/bed/"bathroom" could be completely cleared out in about an hour. Insulating is still on the agenda, and I'm close to that point. The build is for a 4 person family + large dog travel trailer.....plus and the ability to transport a motorcycle. I'm also shooting for a "no-power-needed" to occupy the trailer. What happens if you don't have power? Can you get water out of the facet? Can you lower the elevator bed? These were some of the considerations for the build. It's all really a hobby for me....like camping is. Something to occupy the brain. What's the simplest, easiest, most functional, most esthetically pleasing way to construct it? Brain loves it. I also "taught" myself to weld a couple months ago. This definitely opens up options for the build.

What size/kind of trailer are you thinking about?
Hey Joe,
I just bought a 7.5x16 aluminum v nose. I have two Delta pros. Now I need to buy some panels. And start hooking it up. Any links for how it should be hooked up? I'm going to try for 1000-1500w of panels.

Any links for how it should be hooked up?

Hey Joe,
I just bought a 7.5x16 aluminum v nose. I have two Delta pros. Now I need to buy some panels. And start hooking it up. Any links for how it should be hooked up? I'm going to try for 1000-1500w of panels.
Yo!!!! Dang Nickeboy. Nice work on the trailer. Curious….what’s the purpose of the two delta pros? Or did you get the DP + expansion battery? I’ve been trying different panel configurations in the math equation. The DP only has a 15 amp input. Larger 200w+ panels have amp output around 10 amps which limit setting up two series strings in parallel. The largest configuration (thus far) was 1200w using 200w (Rich Solar). I looked at 3-550w panels which fit dimensionally, but the panels are HUGE and don’t seem like a good idea for a trailer. I have an email chain with Ecoflow tech support. I recently asked if they could offer a panel solution to reach 1600w. It usually takes 3-4 days for a response. Another thing, I recently read a question/answer directly on their website. Ecoflow states that using solar panels other than Ecoflow branded, it voids the warranty……Um, I guess I already voided the warranty. This is kind of insane as Ecoflow only sells deployable panels. Even their 400w deployable is limited to 3-400w. Currently, I believe 1600w is a theoretically max…..limited by 15 amp input. I could definitely be wrong, as I’m learning as I go. I’ll post if tech support comes back with an answer. Keep me posted on your findings?

The whole idea of the drawer slides is that the A/C slides to the outside of the trailer leaving just the front controls inside the trailer. The A/C hangs outside just like it would in a standard window installation. So far I've only used it in August and September last year but it's working great.

This is the video that inspired what I did though my install is in the V-nose and a bit different. The video quality is poor but it gives you a rough idea.

Two things: 1) Mini splits are efficient 2) The noisy part stays outside and only the quiet vent/controls are mounted inside.

I guess one disadvantage is that the main part stays outside year round.

I have two 20lb propane tanks on the tongue of my trailer but the mini-split could be installed above the tanks.

I've never seen anyone do this before. This fellow put the mini-split on a slider.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.14.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.14.01 AM.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 6
Yo!!!! Dang Nickeboy. Nice work on the trailer. Curious….what’s the purpose of the two delta pros? Or did you get the DP + expansion battery? I’ve been trying different panel configurations in the math equation. The DP only has a 15 amp input. Larger 200w+ panels have amp output around 10 amps which limit setting up two series strings in parallel. The largest configuration (thus far) was 1200w using 200w (Rich Solar). I looked at 3-550w panels which fit dimensionally, but the panels are HUGE and don’t seem like a good idea for a trailer. I have an email chain with Ecoflow tech support. I recently asked if they could offer a panel solution to reach 1600w. It usually takes 3-4 days for a response. Another thing, I recently read a question/answer directly on their website. Ecoflow states that using solar panels other than Ecoflow branded, it voids the warranty……Um, I guess I already voided the warranty. This is kind of insane as Ecoflow only sells deployable panels. Even their 400w deployable is limited to 3-400w. Currently, I believe 1600w is a theoretically max…..limited by 15 amp input. I could definitely be wrong, as I’m learning as I go. I’ll post if tech support comes back with an answer. Keep me posted on your findings?
15 amp input. Is that possible to get? I was looking at these panels. I wanted to do 6 of them but it looks like that will be 74 amps? Is this correct?
Also, I bought two to be able to run my well. With the power hub I can get enough power to run my well pump. That was my main concern. I may add extra batteries later.
Please keep me posted on what you hear.

15 amp input. Is that possible to get? I was looking at these panels. I wanted to do 6 of them but it looks like that will be 74 amps? Is this correct?
Also, I bought two to be able to run my well. With the power hub I can get enough power to run my well pump. That was my main concern. I may add extra batteries later.
Wait, I think if I run them in series my amps would be 12.34.

Wait, I think if I run them in series my amps would be 12.34.
…at ~120V open circuit voltage.
The tall/narrow layout could be an advantage in some circumstances though they’re still at the $1/watt retail price point.

…at ~120V open circuit voltage.
The tall/narrow layout could be an advantage in some circumstances though they’re still at the $1/watt retail price point.
12VoltInstalls - Thank you for your thoughts.

The "limitation" is the 15 amp input of the EcoFlow DELTA Pro. The capacity is 3600Wh and the specs for the solar input is 1600w, 150v, 15a.

Nickeboy was looking at Newpowa 210W:
Maximum power (Pmax): 210W
Voltage at Pmax (Vmp): 16.77V
Current at Pmax (Imp): 12.48A
Open-circuit voltage (Voc): 19.83V
Short-circuit current (Isc): 13.09A
Temperature coefficient of Voc: -(80±10)mV/°C
Temperature coefficient of Isc: (0.065±0.015)%/ °C
Temperature coefficient of power; -(0.5±0.05)%/ °C
NOCT (Air 20°C; Sun 0.8kW/m² wind 1m/s): 47±2°C
Operating temperature: -40°C to 85°C
Maximum system voltage: 1000V DC
Power tolerance: ± 3%
Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 15 A

I was pondering RICH SOLAR 200 Watt:

Specifications
Maximum Power(Pmax): 200W
Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 20.4V
Maximum Power Current(Imp): 9.80A
Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 24.3V
Short Circuit Current(Isc): 10.2A
Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000VDC
Temperature Range: -40°C ~ 90°C
Max Series Fuse Rating: 15A

8 panels in series (of either panel) exceed 150v. So, I've downsized my thinking to 1200w-1400w.

Do you have a suggestion on a good panel? Possibly.......less than a $1/watt?

Last edited:
Ecoflow tech support is fairly vague in their answers to questions. Mostly, the answers seem to be "standard reply" to questions rather than directly addressing the issue. At least, that's been my experience. Here's the text copied from the email:

------------------------------------------------
Apr 9, 2022, 12:18 EDT
Jessica -

Could you offer a solar panel solution to that achieves 1600w of solar input and meets the 11-150V, 15A requirements. I’m looking around to find a panel configuration, but haven’t found a solution of parallel/series of panels to meet these requirements. It’s also a little strange that Ecoflow doesn’t sell a set of panels to achieve the 1600w input. I read that if one uses non-ecoflow panels, it voids the warranty? Is that correct?

I appreciate your help on this. Please be specific on the panels, number of panels and parallel/series strings to achieve max input without overloading the system. The panels are going on a flat roof and will be permanently mounted.

Thank you,
Joe

-----------------------------------------------
Jessica (EcoFlow)
Apr 14, 2022, 7:21 EDT
Dear Joe,

Sorry for the late reply!

For a better experience and efficiency, it is highly recommended to use EF solar panels.
You can check 400W Solar Panel to charge the DELTA Pro. For solar charging, please find detailed information for your reference. It will take 4-8 hours to fully charge the DELTA Pro if you use 3 sets of the 400W solar panels.

D6iyIfh9zw9pf0F27mneDeRRF

Note: EcoFlow does not provide free service for any damage to the product caused by improper operation of the third-party solar panels.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Stay safe & Best regards,
Jessica
EcoFlow Customer Service Team

-----------------------------------------------------
Apr 14, 2022, at 7:31 AM
Jessica-

Does hooking up non ecoflow solar panels void the delta pro warranty?

How does a user hook up 1600w of solar? What panels meet this 1600w requirement? I understand with ecoflow panels the max is 1200w.

Thank you,
Joe

Oh man. Ok. That Amperage looks a little lower.

If someone cares to correct my calculations on the https://amzn.to/3jLMtvc solar panels.
If I put 6 of these in a series I think I will be ok.

Is my math correct?

Amps: 12.48
Volts: 120
Watts: 1260

Oh man. Ok. That Amperage looks a little lower.

If someone cares to correct my calculations on the https://amzn.to/3jLMtvc solar panels.
If I put 6 of these in a series I think I will be ok.

Is my math correct?

Amps: 12.48
Volts: 120
Watts: 1260

Nickeboy - I'm learning as I go here, but the math seems right to me. Looks like you could do 7 panels actually.

I hear you.
I've only skimmed the thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating information someone else has already said. You will get more panels for your money going with rigid panels. You can go over on the amperage (i.e. over-panel). The DP will only draw up to 15A (actually almost 16A based on real world testing, as long as the input power is <1600W). Over paneling will also help when the light condition isn't ideal. What you need to be careful is to not go over on the voltage (Voc on your panel rating). Also keep in mind that the Voc ratings is at 75F. As temperature get colder, Voc will rise. So I would not go over about 80-85% of the max 150V, depending on how cold your environment gets.

I've only skimmed the thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating information someone else has already said. You will get more panels for your money going with rigid panels. You can go over on the amperage (i.e. over-panel). The DP will only draw up to 15A (actually almost 16A based on real world testing, as long as the input power is <1600W). Over paneling will also help when the light condition isn't ideal. What you need to be careful is to not go over on the voltage (Voc on your panel rating). Also keep in mind that the Voc ratings is at 75F. As temperature get colder, Voc will rise. So I would not go over about 80-85% of the max 150V, depending on how cold your environment gets.
So....over amperage is ok? I didn't know that. It actually sounds like it might be beneficial......

Back