diy solar

diy solar

Advice - using transit van inverter to charge house batteries through renogy 2000w inverter charger

iamliv

This could be the dumbest question ever, but my transit van comes with dual car batteries and an inverter, can i charge my van house batteries by hooking up the vans inverter to a renogy inverter charger???

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming: You have two chassis batteries in parallel powering an inverter AND You have a Renogy inverter/charger powered by a separate bank of house batteries. As a side note, I hope there is a means of isolating the two chassis batteries from each other in the event of low voltage to prevent completely discharging both batteries with the inverter.

Your question is if you hook up your chassis battery powered inverter to the AC INPUT of your Renogy inverter/charger, will it charge your house batteries like this?

alternator out ----> charging chassis batteries ----> powering renogy inverter charger ----> charging house batteries

If the above flow chart is correct, yes.

This could be the dumbest question ever, but my transit van comes with dual car batteries and an inverter, can i charge my van house batteries by hooking up the vans inverter to a renogy inverter charger???
Iamliv,
I have a transit van and I plan on using the CCP 60A @ 12 available to us behind the driver seat. Please check your build sheet, you should have the high amp alternator.

The factory inverter is about 180W from what I read, do you know the Watt rating of the inverter.

Not sure if you can set the charging Amps on the renogy or how power it needs.

Hi @snoobler thank you so much for your feedback, yes that is the plan I will do more research and ensure to have an isolator.

Hi @sshibly I'm not 100% yet, I pick up the van from the dealership tomorrow so I will ensure to get the right answers on that one, on the info they have online and in the brochure I am unsure. But I will find out and get back. Thanks for the reply.

Using the renogy charger inverter you should be able get a controlled charge to the batteries, but it is a rather convoluted way to charge. As stated above you need to ensure isolation when things are off....That could be done by measuring for leakage between the two units. You will be running a 110 wire from the transit inverter to the renogy. (why have a charger inverter when the transit has an inverter?)When plugging in the van to charge the batts with the renogy you will have to reconfigure your 110 wiring. A more typical means would be utilizing an isolator or better DC DC converter/isolator. If you like renogy they have several DC to DC converters that isolate. Then you get the charge profile for the house, and don't have to reconfigure 110 wires depending on the charging source......

Back