diy solar

diy solar

Aftermarket Inverter for generator?

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
The recovery process for my AC batteries (i.e., Encharge) say to only use an inverter generator.

Was wondering if there was an aftermarket addon for generators. Looked around, but didn't see anything that looked right. I did find THD filters for $15k, but again... not what I was hoping for.

THD on the grid is 2.0 to 5.0%. A honda inverter idling is around 1.2% THD. IEEE 519 says < 5% for electronics. My generator manual guarantees the THD < 23%. :unsure:

I did find this paper, but really looking for a product. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Looks like I might have an alternative to putting the generator output to battery charger and then to an inverter just to charge my AC battery.
Turns out the IQ8s form microgrids on their own, so if I put a few under the panels they'll wake up when the sun is out and flip on the entire array which will charge my AC batteries.

I did build something so that I could run my furnace (modern electronics) off of my 20 year old conventional generator. It's a "double conversion" system. First, you convert the AC to clean DC. I used a switching type power supply (12v, 60A), with a couple of big filter caps on the output. You then take the clean DC, and run it through a pure sine wave inverter to give you good 60Hz, sine wave AC. My furnace has an ECM motor with a soft start, so I don't have any big inrush current. It only pulls 540W running full out, so a 600 W inverter does it for me.
Trying to set up something in the multi thousand Watts would get quite expensive.

THD is one issues, Frequency Float is yet another. 60Hz will allow for 3hz in either direction, beyond that and weirdness happens. I would assume it is similar on 50Hz based systems. I have for a few years used a Champion 7200/9000 Construction genset to charge through the Samlex EVO which is a pretty advanced Inverter System and highly programmable and it required a fair bit of "Futsing" to get it all to behave. Not all pleasant either.

Past 3 charge events using that Genset (has over 2000 hours but exceedingly well cared for) it's gotten tired and when it starts to stress (when batts reach full) it starts to go out of phase and not nicely and the Inverter disconnects it HARD and that 50/50 will trip the Generator to shut down.

I have bought & used a King Canada 3kw Inverter Genset to charge batts but also for my lighter construction work... it survined 250 hours before it's FETS cooked, Replaceemnt electronic cost more than teh genny and not available either... CRAP. Bought an Energizer Inverter Gen 3kw, BEFORE I realized they have NOTHING to do with Energizer Battery Co and it is a cheapo junker, lasted 2 weeks with BASICS and the Inverter fried, all replaced under warranty but not right, it is junk.... One company imports all sorts of JUNK and puts labels on them that makes folks think there is a Real Brand behind it. The Company importing these is "Midland Power Inc" AVOID !!

This morning my Big Old Genny decided it had enough.... Being a Champion and like many other Champion Power Tools & Equipment I have and had, they have always lived up to what they are supposed to be, so I went out and bought a Champion 4650W Inverter Generator and it's running now outputting 2250W on the 120VAC/30A L5:30 line to charge my bank at 24V/75A which is only pulling 2250W. Working beautifully.
This is the Model I bought: https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/201053-4500-watt-inverter/
They also have a Dual Fuel GAS/LPG model available in both Canada & US as well.

Again, I have to say, I have Never had issues with Champion Power Equipment and I started using their stuff in the 1990's. This is my first Inverter Genny from them (would have bought before the King & Energizer junkers but were not available then) and given the reliability of the other stuff I have no fears or worries. It even has a really sweet drainline for oil changes. There is some well thought out designs in this.

Hope that helps some folks. Good Luck.

I've had it running a while now and even played with the Samlex Programming to try & force trips etc between the Inverter & Generator and it handled it so well I am actually Gobsmacked, Charging the 24V @ 75A even keeps in in ECO mode ! and it steps up when demand required it (fridge or pump starts) and immediately steps down like it should. I use Pass-Through with the Samlex. Very Impressed and I MUSt say that neither other Inverter Gennies behaved this nicely and "the old beast" was just Rude about things ad woudl go out of phase when tripped.

I've pushed it to charge at 80A (120V/2300VA from Gen) and stepped it through paces from 40A to 80A and tinkered with Pack Voltages to trigger HVD to see how that happens as the changes in the charge rate affects the genny when a pack or two cutoff... It takes it all very nicely & in stride. One KICKER IS, With the Samlex, the Old Gen woudl crap out (phase change) when the Inverter/Charger transitioned from Bulk Absorb to Float but this Inverter Genny just adapts and cycles down the RPM as the amps reduce and remains perfect;y clean at 60HZ rock solid.

Back