diy solar

diy solar

agm batteries

Originalxactdude

In researching batteries, I notice the use of AGM's for solar storage. My plan was to use them on a water storage pump which is not going to be used in a consistent manner. I have an electric wheelchair in my house which is used occasionally, and I have found that with the agm units on the chair if you dont use them you lose them so to speak. I usually have to replace the chair batteries once a year or so due to non use, so i would expect the same from the solar batteries of this type?

So long as you minimize below 50% discharge and regularly charge them back up AGM batteries should last several years. All lead acid batteries suffer from self discharge and over a period of about 6 months of none use they will go dead. Frequently people that want to keep them good will put them on a battery maintainer. Your wheel chair batteries would have lasted longer if you had routinely every month recharged them.

Using solar as a battery maintainer should get you 3-5 years.

In researching batteries, I notice the use of AGM's for solar storage. My plan was to use them on a water storage pump which is not going to be used in a consistent manner. I have an electric wheelchair in my house which is used occasionally, and I have found that with the agm units on the chair if you dont use them you lose them so to speak. I usually have to replace the chair batteries once a year or so due to non use, so i would expect the same from the solar batteries of this type?

I have a set of big AGMs connected for my motorhome engine/chassis tray, and they get float charged every day via 2 solar little solar panels and their own little PWM charge controller, and those batteries still work great whenever I want to start the engine and let it run for a bit...

The lack of cycling doesn't kill them, just the self-discharging, and once they get down below 50% depth of discharge, that is hard on them.

so, if i am understanding correctly, they dont need to be used, just charged maintained. didnt know that. i thought it was the lack of use. thx folks

Back