diy solar

diy solar

AGM in storage.

AlanH

G’day all,

I have in my caravan a 190ah Supersafe by Enersys SBS 190F deep cycle.

It’s permanently connected to the solar panel.

Should I disconnect it and give it a tweak every so often or is it ok to be connected permanently with the MPPT?

Cheers all.

Al.

Last edited:
There are different types of batteries within the 'Supersafe' line, so I don't know exactly which one you have. But the documents I looked at all specify an occasional "refresh" charge, which they desire to occur every couple of months (the length of time being based on temperature). This is basically an "equalize" charge, although it's done at much less voltage than normal SLA batteries - and it's done less frequently.

If your MPPT can be programmed to match Supersafe operating requirements (I believe your battery to be from the 'EON' product line), and the PV array provides adequate power, you could leave it connected to the MPPT all the time. The EONs call for very low Constant Voltage (Basically a "float voltage" of about 13.75, depending on temperature), but they want to be recharged with high current after being used/discharged. The low voltage "equalize" is just a bit higher, they specify a range whose center is about 14.1V (and they absolutely don't want you to use more than 14.2V). They specify an equalize time of 24 hours.

Remember - as a lead acid battery, it wants to kept at nearly 100% state-of-charge all the time, except when being used and temporarily "drawn down". I think that your instruction sheet is this one: https://www.enersys.com/48d7ec/globalassets/documents/asia/india/as-sssbs-eon-is-001_1016.pdf

rickst29, Thanks for your reply.

My apologies as I should have looked up for the maintenance sheet with Supersafe. Just didnt think of it!

Well thats good news, I can leave it attached to the solar panel. Settings in the MPPT are ideal.

Cheers.

rickst29, Thanks for your reply.

My apologies as I should have looked up for the maintenance sheet with Supersafe. Just didnt think of it!

Well thats good news, I can leave it attached to the solar panel. Settings in the MPPT are ideal.

Cheers.
Great to hear that. Just DON'T have it doing a "sealed lead acid" equalize of 14.5 -14.6 volts, that will ruin the battery. Your MPPT's "AGM/GEL" settings might be just about right, with no need for further customization.

Thanks mate, the Epever 2206 is set to AGM and from memory is virtually spot on. Float is at 13.8v.

Back