diy solar

diy solar

Ah, Hello, I'm now here ...

mr_ckw

Greetings All,

This looks like a good forum for me in my, now over a year, research on building a solar system. I live in West Virginia and live solely on my SS income. I have an over powering need to construct a hybrid solar system in my back yard. Inasmuch as I have an exceedingly low spending threshold, and I need a 10+Kw system, the approach I have chosen to take is to start by building something like a 3Kw system that I can expand as my capital permits, until my needs are met, and hopefully, exceeded. It would also be pleasant to sell my excess to the power company and make some little bit of income instead of paying a couple hundred $ a month.

So, any way, my plan is to get the best stackable split phase inverter I can get for around $1400, as a base, and start building from there. Work on getting enough panels to put together a simple grid-tie system with the intention of eventually accumulating enough hardware to have a fulling functioning hybrid system that meets my needs, and keep build from there.

Some of the advice I've read here is NOT to buy something from China (for various and sundry reasons related to support and quality). I'm hoping to draw on experience from knowledgable, informed people here to help me complete my research before I make my first inverter purchase.

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. So, where do I start?

With immense hope,

Clark

Greetings All,

This looks like a good forum for me in my, now over a year, research on building a solar system. I live in West Virginia and live solely on my SS income. I have an over powering need to construct a hybrid solar system in my back yard. Inasmuch as I have an exceedingly low spending threshold, and I need a 10+Kw system, the approach I have chosen to take is to start by building something like a 3Kw system that I can expand as my capital permits, until my needs are met, and hopefully, exceeded. It would also be pleasant to sell my excess to the power company and make some little bit of income instead of paying a couple hundred $ a month.

So, any way, my plan is to get the best stackable split phase inverter I can get for around $1400, as a base, and start building from there. Work on getting enough panels to put together a simple grid-tie system with the intention of eventually accumulating enough hardware to have a fulling functioning hybrid system that meets my needs, and keep build from there.

Some of the advice I've read here is NOT to buy something from China (for various and sundry reasons related to support and quality). I'm hoping to draw on experience from knowledgable, informed people here to help me complete my research before I make my first inverter purchase.

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. So, where do I start?

With immense hope,

Clark
well, except premium brands like victron and maybe schneider, all are made in china, or at least their parts are, and they will be out of you price range.

i would think most important would be ( somewhat) local support.
ian at watts24 in us based and provides support for a number of brands.
looking at your situation, i suggest looking at the mpp solar lvx series : https://usamppsolar.com/product/wow...optional-the-most-all-in-one-product-to-date/

for panels, i would look at used panels , people here seem to have good fortune with santan solar ( ~ 50 usd per 250 watt panel)

as for batteries, you have a choice to be made :

1 use prebuild 12v batteries ( you'll need 4 as a minimum)

if you look at will's youtube channel, he tests quite a few.
chins, zoom etc all tested well, with exception to low temp cut off, so you'd have to store them in a heat/temp controlled location.

2 diy using cells, which is cheaper, but also leaves room for error, and you need lots of "extra's" like lab charger, tools , bms ( you'll need 16 cells as a minimum)

3 by a rack battery, which already is 48v.
i believe the best will has tested are the signature solar eg4 or jakiper by current connect, both will set you back ~ 1700 for a 100a ( 5.2 kwh)

also take into account that panel racking, cabling, fusing,breaking etc wont be cheap.

a member here ( @upnorthandpersonal ) has build a 10000 dollar system that has performed well , so that would be another option.

search for his write up, it is interesting and he's still running it

a member here ( @upnorthandpersonal ) has build a 10000 dollar system that has performed well , so that would be another option.

This is the one year update post on my system:

The first post in that thread is the starting point.

i would think most important would be ( somewhat) local support.
ian at watts24 in us based and provides support for a number of brands.
looking at your situation, i suggest looking at the mpp solar lvx series : https://usamppsolar.com/product/wow...optional-the-most-all-in-one-product-to-date/
Thank you for your reply. I maybe should have been a little more clear about purchasing foreign made hardware. I don't object to purchasing hardware made in China, just making a direct purchase from a vendor in China. Getting something from a distributor here in the US would undoubtedly provide better and more timely support.

And, thank you for all the suggestions. I have already followed the link you provided to usamppsolar.com and found the LVX6048 for $1599. It looks like it has all the features I need, and gives me the ability to start at 6Kw instead of 3Kw. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any information about the warranty, so I sent their sales department and email requesting that information.

Also, I am going to continue following up on all the other hardware suggestions you provided. I appreciate your input and you have given me some good information to get me going.

Clark

Back