diy solar

diy solar

Aili Battery Shut Question - does it have a low voltage disconnect?

coalfield

Sorry another Aili question, I am new to the scene and getting to grips with a portable solar setup before getting a full off grid, hence no inverter yet.

I have a basic setup currently, solar panel > PWM charger -> battery -> USB-C adapter

Have recently purchase the Aili shut, all working fine... however as per the manual I have setup directly connected to the battery.

The manual however does not show how to wire linked to a charge controller, so in essence this is bypassing the Low Voltage disconnect with my load.

Does the Aili have any LVD protection, or should I be wiring this to the 'load' of my charge controller.

Example below is the way I am thinking to wire, and hopefully it will be able to track charging but not entirely sure if P+ (output) should actually be connected to B+

Any thoughts welcome

example.JPG

Last edited:
or am I just worrying about something here the battery BMS should maintain? Its a LifePO4 battery and does have a built in BMS

Not quite sure exactly what you need to protect.
My diagram will record charge into and out of the battery. You have the option of powering loads via the controller up to the rated current of the controller, or direct from the battery or both.
( its not an Aili shunt in the picture but the same principal)

DIY solar aili shunt.jpgDIY solar PWM controller.jpg
Mike

Not quite sure exactly what you need to protect.
My diagram will record charge into and out of the battery. You have the option of powering loads via the controller up to the rated current of the controller, or direct from the battery or both.
( its not an Aili shunt in the picture but the same principal)

View attachment 67932View attachment 67933
Mike

Thank you you beat me too it was literally just going to post this which looks to match you load to battery image.

My concern with load to battery is, the charge controller has LVD built in, but with this option I will be bypassing it. Should I just be relying on the BMS to LVD?

optionb.JPG

depends on your load, inverters and items with electric motors almost always need to be connected direct to the battery.
Most all other loads can be connected to the load output of the controller provided the total current is within the current limit.
If the lithium battery has a LVD then all options are covered.

Mike

depends on your load, inverters and items with electric motors almost always need to be connected direct to the battery.
Most all other loads can be connected to the load output of the controller provided the total current is within the current limit.
If the lithium battery has a LVD then all options are covered.

Mike

Thanks Mike my load is max 8A and the controller handles 20A so I am safe to connect to this, and thank you for spending the time to do the diagrams, I am using your first config today and its working perfectly (y)

Back