diy solar

diy solar

Aims 120 Volt 12/24 VDC Converter sparks when connected

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
I hook my Aims Converter 120 VAC to 12/24 VDC to 4 Lithium 280 ah cells and the Lug sparks as I hook it to the terminal. Can buzz also if kept on. I’m sure this is not normal and see nothing in the manual about sparking.

I am hooking this up as the instrucitons say powered off and connecting the battery first. I hook the negative up to the battery terminal, and then when I touch the positive to the terminal, it sparks. I even tried a resistor thinking it was a capacitor, but it has sparked 5 times.

Model # CON120AC12/24VDC

What happens if you leave the battery disconnected, connect the inverter and converter to your busbars.
You should be able to turn on your inverter and power a reasonable load.
Circuits should be fused of course.

What happens if you leave the battery disconnected, connect the inverter and converter to your busbars.
You should be able to turn on your inverter and power a reasonable load.
Circuits should be fused of course.
Thanks for the quick response.

This is for a pre-charge before a Top Balance.

Right now I have no inverter hooked up, just the batteries and the converter. This is supposed to be for charging 4S cells for a couple hours at 70 amps, then disassembling them and putting them on the 10 amp 30 volt charger to finish th job.

Thanks for the quick response.

This is for a pre-charge before a Top Balance.

Right now I have no inverter hooked up, just the batteries and the converter. This is supposed to be for charging 4S cells for a couple hours at 70 amps, then disassembling them and putting them on the 10 amp 30 volt charger to finish th job.
Is the voltage selector switch set for 12 volts?
Do you have a pure dc load you can try powering from the converter just for a test?
Are you sure you have the battery polarity correct?
Black is positive on chinese cells that are not for export which is what we as a forum are usually getting.

What do you consider a pure science loade? I have a power supply, a smaller battery pack, and some 12 volt dc usbchargers.

I just read the book. It said to connect battery with A/C disconnected. It sounds pretty bulletproof. You are 4S and not 4P? Polarity correct? S1 and s2 off? I will I had 1 of these.

I just read the book. It said to connect battery with A/C disconnected. It sounds pretty bulletproof. You are 4S and not 4P? Polarity correct? S1 and s2 off? I will I had 1 of these.
Cells are set up 4S and polarity is correct, and both switches are set to 0 for lithium.

What do you consider a pure science loade? I have a power supply, a smaller battery pack, and some 12 volt dc usbchargers.
Like some 12 volt halogen lights perhaps.
Or some automotive bulbs.
Just any resistive load within the capacity of the charger.

Have you tried adjusting the current down?
Have you measured the voltage between the charger leads?

Have you tried adjusting the current down?
Have you measured the voltage between the charger leads?
I can adjust the current down.

I did not measure the voltage on the charger leads, I will try that.

Each cell measured at 3.30 VOlts DC, and altogether 13.23 volts DC.

Or some automotive bulbs.
Just any resistive load within the capacity of the charger.
I may try this, but I wonder how this works with the auto sensing of the battery. I would feel more comfortable with a 12 volt or 24 volt switch, but this is a popular high amperage charger.

If this is new it is possible something came loose in the hand to surface shipping we all receive. I would have a fuse in the battery circuit before I hook it up again. To be clear it makes internal noise with A/ C disconnected and battery connected. If this statement is true I would contact the seller.

I contacted the seller and am returning this.

The manufacturer said sparking was normal when connecting this to a battery. I did not think that would be the case and this sparking actually scored (put a black mark) on the terminals.

Last edited:
Back