diy solar

diy solar

Aims 60amp Solar Charge Controller: How to Effectively 'Disable' Float?

Having read the user instructions it's clear the designers/ instruction writers have no clue as to what is needed in a solar charger.

They refer that absorbtion is the same as equalisation and suggest that bulk, absorbtion equilization and float are all set at 28.8 volts for lithium. This is plain stupid.
There seems no method to alter absorbtion duration and no indication how the charger determine the point to enter float.
Its not clear if temperature compensation can be disabled.

I would not recomend this unit, if possible return and buy a Victron, or for economy a Epever.

If an alternative unit is not possible, set bulk, absorbtion/equilization to 28.4 volts, float to 27 volts.
Depending on battery cell balance you may need to lower the charging voltage to 28.0 or 27.6.

Why folk continue to buy rubbish products is a mystery to me. I understand the appeal of lower cost, but quality products with a proven track record and support, save customers from considerable grief, and perhaps prevent damage to expensive batteries.

Mike
The Aims SCC offers a 'Lithium' setting with bulk only and 28.8V. The voltage cannot be altered. I was endeavoring to reduce by selecting 'Self Defined' as I found that, on those occasions when the system was so depleted that the inverter flipped to charging (while solar charging was occurring), the inverter would have issues flipping from charging BACK to inverting. Possibly a shortcoming of the Aims products that the inverter auto transfer conflicts with solar charging signal. Since making that change, I made several corrections to the wiring that may have contributed to the system errors (loose connections) and will see if the systems co-exist better with the SCC Bulk charging ONLY to 28.8V.

Back