diy solar

diy solar

AIO + Alternator = Pretty simple Vehicle 2 Home solar backup (and $ opportunity)

PriusFan

After days of full time digging I found these detailed schematics with what I think is the best current version of an alternator driven Vehicle to Home/RV arrangement. The diagrams are from a Victron distributor showing how to integrate an All In One (AIO) with an alternator for a string of bad solar days backup. https://www.offgridhappy.com/Downloads/The Victron EasySolar All-In-One Solution.pdf.

Will has already illustrated the use of these devices in the videos below (he uses MPP and Renogy rather than Victron in the diagrams). Will simply has not yet integrated them in this way. Upcoming video?

As Will illustrates in the video below a Tesla/EV/hybrid with a traditional 12 volt battery as well as traction battery is a super efficient generator. However any vehicle could use one of these methods - although with much more wasted energy.

At ten minutes into this 2019 video Will describes how such a V2H system would work with a Tesla (without referencing an All In One):

Attachments

• The Victron EasySolar All-In-One Solution.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
By the way I realize this is no breakthrough. Just a helpful diagram. With the systems hardly integrated.

Based on the number of people asking for it on this forum I think one of the All In One (AIO) manufacturers will make a lot of money as soon as they add a DC input designed for an alternator into an All In One. A deeper marriage of the solar world, the RV world, and the Tesla/EV/hybrid world is waiting in the wings.

Add a DC to DC charger and you’ve instantly got a product desired by everyone looking to simply combine power from solar, shore, a 12v vehicle alternator, and a battery bank. Particularly for EV/hybrid users, who can very efficiently generate power, these systems hold great promise.

(The All In Ones already have a MPPT DC input. Could one disable the MPPT for the period of connection to a DC 12 volt? And there is another problem - the All In Ones require a higher minimum voltage than 12v [at least 15v]. So one builds something like the device here into the All In One [no need to waterproof]: https://shop.pkys.com/orion-ip67-24-12-50 [or slightly lowers the input range]. If someone knows of an All In One that accepts a 12v range p
please let me know. I’d love to see Will build his ideal system.)

Last edited:
Back