diy solar

diy solar

AIO / battery trouble for months now.........

I commented on your genny post on SC.

I so wish you had said they were Canadian Poof Poof batteries right from the get-go. They changed their suppliers a couple of years ago and dropped warranties down too. Good thing is, they do handle the warranties fairly well, you know that. For our Non-Canadian readers, Canadian Poof Poof is a nickname for Canadian Tire Corp. I've had situations where "some" CTC managers wanted to enforce a warranty from Date of Purchase (originals) even if they replaced them 6 months later while others from date or replacement. Weird Eh but it's happened, so hopefully, you don't get a wise arse.

Others have already pretty much covered everything I would have. The gravity numbers you posted are within range for the chemistry.

Handy Table:
specific-gravity-table-500x182.png

I so wish you had said they were Canadian Poof Poof batteries right from the get-go.
LOL, I didn't relise I had mentioned who I dealt with. I was hoping they would step up, but it's not looking good.
As I metioned here in an earlier post, I am much more battery savey now. I would only get "new" batteries, and not their last few on the shelf, and never from a big box store like CT.
Weird Eh but it's happened, so hopefully, you don't get a wise arse.
They said come in with 4 (that's all they had in stock), and we will replace them. When I got there, they told me they couldn't find them. Few days later phoned me up and said that their maintenace guys took them off the shelf, used them in genei's, or forklifts ect.
I wonder if they use them "lightly", then put them back on the shelf, and grab another set. Rince, lather, repeat. I don't know, but will not be going back..............

Well, you just confirmed that the batteries are fully charged just prior to power off AND in the morning.

I recommend you utilize the system until you reach the 60% point and repeat the exercise, i.e., discharge to 60%, record first line of table and then shut off and allow for at least 2 hours (overnight better) and record second line of table.

The only thing I would do differently is to take two SG readings. One from a cell in the first group of batteries and another from a cell in the "30%" group of batteries.

I commented on your genny post on SC.

I so wish you had said they were Canadian Poof Poof batteries right from the get-go. They changed their suppliers a couple of years ago and dropped warranties down too. Good thing is, they do handle the warranties fairly well, you know that. For our Non-Canadian readers, Canadian Poof Poof is a nickname for Canadian Tire Corp. I've had situations where "some" CTC managers wanted to enforce a warranty from Date of Purchase (originals) even if they replaced them 6 months later while others from date or replacement. Weird Eh but it's happened, so hopefully, you don't get a wise arse.

Others have already pretty much covered everything I would have. The gravity numbers you posted are within range for the chemistry.

Handy Table:
specific-gravity-table-500x182.png

Somebody is copy/pasting from the Rolls Battery Manual... :)

I suspect they pulled from the manual for their table. Different manufacturers will list different SG vs charge relationships and may or may not include a range. Trojan is simply 1.278 for full. No range.

1638547677485.png

I recommend you utilize the system until you reach the 60% point and repeat the exercise, i.e., discharge to 60%, record first line of table and then shut off and allow for at least 2 hours (overnight better) and record second line of table.
Thank you for talking the time...........It means a lot to me............

One last question, I'm not quite sure I know how long I need to charge these up from 60% @40a
I'm thinking 6hrs???
I don't want to srew this up now lol
Thanks

One last question, I'm not quite sure I know how long I need to charge these up from 60% @40a
I'm thinking 6hrs???
I don't want to srew this up now lol
Thanks

That depends. Given the fact that your SG is 1.270, I would argue they don't need to be charged at least for today.

The charger should handle it automatically. If you notice that the inverter is sitting in float mode, then the battery is fully charged.

That depends. Given the fact that your SG is 1.270, I would argue they don't need to be charged at least for today.

The charger should handle it automatically. If you notice that the inverter is sitting in float mode, then the battery is fully charged.
Thank you

Thank you

You're welcome. Something is wrong with me. I love trying to figure this shit out.

Honestly... I'd ask you to USE IT ALL DAY today without any generator running AT ALL. Regardless of what the % reads, do not shut it down before 24V is indicated - AT THE BATTERY, measured with your meter. Even a little lower than 24V is fine.

At 24V, or your normal shut-off time, collect the first line of data in the table before shut down and collect the second line in the morning before power-up.

Given the data set recorded, I'm 99.99% certain that you actually don't have a significant problem besides your cut-off criteria. You MAY and likely do have batteries that don't meet spec, but they likely meet > 70% of spec, which should power you for at least a few days with your frugal usage and manner of operation (turning off at night) and still stay above 50% capacity with NO generator running at all.

One additional piece of data:

When the unit says 60%, what is the battery voltage, at the battery, with your meter?

You're welcome. Something is wrong with me. I love trying to figure this shit out.
Then you'er goining to love me......
When the unit says 60%, what is the battery voltage, at the battery, with your meter
Honestly, it has never been out by any noticable amount. I think I should take a hydrometer reading at 24v instead.
I like to run the Genny a couple hrs before bed, as I don't want them to freeze, It's headed to -25c here in two days.
At 24V, or your normal shut-off time, collect the first line of data in the table before shut down and collect the second line in the morning before power-up.
I will do this again for sure.

Then you'er goining to love me......

Honestly, it has never been out by any noticable amount. I think I should take a hydrometer reading at 24v instead.

Both. :)

I like to run the Genny a couple hrs before bed, as I don't want them to freeze, It's headed to -25c here in two days.

This will disrupt the results. Before you run the generator, check SG as you propose. If you're over 1.200, you're good:

1638566729648.png

I only skimmed but the idle power may be more. My growatt idle consumption is 37 watts from batteries when grid is connected and some is drawn from grid at the same time. But with no grid connection consumption from batteries is 67 watts. 67W x 24h = 1608Wh per day.

Back