diy solar

diy solar

AIO Bonding

If your pug is grounded and you connect the ac in neutral and out neutral together and the grounds together you will be bonded if you are using a plug or not
I just did a continuity test on both the neutrals in the AIO and they are connected together already. What does that change? So since that bonds the neutrals together and in my drawing I have all the grounds tied together then shouldn't I be good to go whether it is unplugged or not?

Correct.

1) Because some panels sold can be either a sub panel or main panel
2) Panels don't come with everything required (they don't include all breakers for example)
3) Because they can make an extra $6 off you for the separate ground bar!

Side note - the panel I bought to use as my critical loads sub panel was actually intended for a main panel, yet it came with its own separate ground bus bar. I didn't know it would, so I had bought an extra ground bar and now I don't need it. Go figure lol.
I guess that was a Fasce cist question. But I could not find any smaller panels with two busbars at HD! and yes they got their extra $7.

It has a dual 30A breaker outside.
You should have a corresponding 30 amp breaker in the main panel that could be swapped out for the correct size for your AIO and rewired accordingly

I just did a continuity test on both the neutrals in the AIO and they are connected together already. What does that change? So since that bonds the neutrals together and in my drawing I have all the grounds tied together then shouldn't I be good to go whether it is unplugged or not?
Does it change if the AIO is on or off?

You should have a corresponding 30 amp breaker in the main panel that could be swapped out for the correct size for your AIO and rewired accordingly
There are 4 other 20A breakers already there. I am pretty sure they were for when the basement was to be finished.

So to sum this up if I have the AC IN plugged into the outlet then I get the NG bond, that is in the main panel, at the AC OUT to the loads. If I unplug from the outlet that breaks the bond, coming from the main panel, and removes it from the AC OUT to the loads. The only way to get the bond back is to connect the N & G at the AC OUT breaker box, when the plug is unplugged from the outlet. Did I get it right?

If I connect the AC IN to an existing subpanel through a 20A breaker and bring that into the AIO then it won't matter. The AC OUT will always be bonded.

Basically. Or, you could theoretically take an outlet, wire the neutral and ground together on it, leave the hot disconnected, then plug the inverter into that standalone "N-G bonding" outlet which would simply do that bonding for you while guaranteeing that you can't have two N-G bonds at the same time (since the plug can only be hooked up to one thing at a time).

Maybe kinda weird, but it would work.

I would prefer hardwiring it to a breaker in that sub panel you have down there already however.

I would prefer hardwiring it to a breaker in that sub panel you have down there already however.
I agree. I will have to ask my neighbor the electrician to help me out. Thanks for all the help.

If your pug is grounded and you connect the ac in neutral and out neutral together and the grounds together you will be bonded if you are using a plug or not
That's true. But, if the plug gets unplugged, than you lose the N-G bond (This is probably understood. Just wanted to clarify for anyone else)

That's true. But, if the plug gets unplugged, than you lose the N-G bond (This is probably understood. Just wanted to clarify for anyone else)
Absolutely
That's why I added the switch in my drawing. Had one laying around so I used it to connect the N & G bond if I unplugged the AC cord from the wall. Post #30

Back