diy solar

diy solar

AIO or Power Station for Backup Power

dmholmes

I have a AGM battery, charger, and inverter setup to power our refrigerator, phones, lights, etc... for occasional weather-related outages. I'm adding 2-4 100W solar panels that can be placed on our balcony and get sunlight for about 3.5 hours a day. We also have a portable generator, soon to be tri-fuel.

I am going to return/sell the AGM soon and either replace it with a 100Ah LiFePO coupled with the MPP Solar 1012, or a Bluetti EB150 power station. Either appears adequate for our needs, the refrigerator being the main load at 900W+ after startup. The EB150 1000W (1200W surge) inverter *should* cover that. I also considered the EcoFlow R600 Pro with the external battery but it's not clear if its 1200W surge capability could handle the refrigerator startup.

Pricing is pretty close with either system so I'm on the fence. The power station seems a bit safer to me, less cables and fuses to worry about. But I don't like that it could be rendered useless, at least until repair, if one component fails. Then again I guess the MPP has almost the same issue. I'd have to stick with my current modular setup to avoid that.

Any words of wisdom here? I realize most people here have much more needs than just temporary power backup. This may be too light on details but I'm hoping there is something that clearly steers my direction one way or the other.

I'm a huge proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm not convinced that either proposed setup is better than what you already have. In fact, if you have a decent inverter already, you may be taking a step down.

I'm not convinced that either proposed setup is better than what you already have. In fact, if you have a decent inverter already, you may be taking a step down.

I will at least swap the AGM for a LiFePO :)

And it was looking at SCC that actually sped this up for me, otherwise I'm fine just trying the modular pieces out as I get them. But after looking at some SCC I realized it would be redundant if I end up with the AIO or power station. My inverter is also somewhat redundant but I like having it since I can run it off the car battery/alternator.

Even with that, FLA/AGM batteries held in float for long periods and rarely used tend to last a LONG time - meaning they are likely a better VALUE than LFP. In fact, a bank of cheap Walmart Everstart 27DC "deep cycle" FLA at $80 each are probably the best value of all. I have one that's 5 years old that I've abused the hell out of and let sit for far longer than is recommended between charges, and it's still over 80% of its reserve capacity rating.

LFP benefit is in $ per cycle. FLA/AGM is better in $ per kWh. Since you don't have a strong cycling demand, LFP is like buying a Ferrari to drive to the end of the street and back.

Yes. I'm a cheap bastard. :)

Even with that, FLA/AGM batteries held in float for long periods and rarely used tend to last a LONG time - meaning they are likely a better VALUE than LFP. In fact, a bank of cheap Walmart Everstart 27DC "deep cycle" FLA at $80 each are probably the best value of all. I have one that's 5 years old that I've abused the hell out of and let sit for far longer than is recommended between charges, and it's still over 80% of its reserve capacity rating.

LFP benefit is in $ per cycle. FLA/AGM is better in $ per kWh. Since you don't have a strong cycling demand, LFP is like buying a Ferrari to drive to the end of the street and back.

Yes. I'm a cheap bastard. :)

Thanks for the perspective. The weight of the AGM has been the main issue so far. If I can carve out some space for this setup in the garage that issue would be alleviated. I plan on having a manual transfer switch with inlet installed by our breaker panel, might be able to fit in nearby.

Back