diy solar

diy solar

AIO unit grounding questions

Chucklesbtoken

I have the MPP Solar PIP-1012LV-MS. 200aH LiFePO4 and 12v hub

Is it okay to put all positives to bus bar and all grounds to a bus bar (with ground also going to chassis)??

I have all the breakers and wire gauges worked out but not sure with AIO units if this would be the approriate grounding or if I should be connecting the SCC to the battery and then battery worked off of that. I guess its the same thing in essence? Im still very new but I did buy 2 blue sea bus bars thinking to use them but then I hear maybe chassis ground is not suitable for all setups

Also, Having a hell of a time finding the approriate breaker for solar panels I have 2x 200w in series so V (optimal conditions) is right around 50V. Help with breaker for inbetween solar panels and SCC would be much appreciated. I figure to have a breaker for maintenance/dc-dc charger..

dc-dc charger being another reason for in the future wanted to have bus bars ready for easier addition

Yes, to bus bars.
No, to negative to ground.
Yes, to chasis to ground.
I recommend a 63 amp 2 pole dc breaker, for solar.
Try Amazon.

Yes, to bus bars.
No, to negative to ground.
Yes, to chasis to ground.
I recommend a 63 amp 2 pole dc breaker, for solar.
Try Amazon.
Sorry not sure what you mean exactly.
Are you say the SCC, BAT to (+) bus and then connect SCC directly to BAT (-)
Then 12v Hub to (-) BUS which goes to chassis ground

and thanks for tip on breaker!

Do not connect battery negative or positive to ground.
But, buss bars are perfect for connections between multiple batteries and loads.

I wasn't aware that this is on a vehicle. In that case I would connect DC negative battery to chasis. But, I would leave ac neutral floating. And protected by gfci.

, I would leave ac neutral floating. And protected by gfci.
Neutral should be bonded to AC protective earth and chassis/body metal for protection devices to function correctly with a stand alone inverter providing power. For shore power the neutral bond should only be made at the supply point.
The chassis/vehicle metal should always be connected to the protective earth.
This is in the UK and Europe, regulations may be different in other countries.

Mike

Last edited:
Neutral should be bonded to AC protective earth and chassis/body metal for protection devices to function correctly with a stand alone inverter providing power. For shore power the neutral bond should only be made at the supply point.
The chassis/vehicle metal should always be connected to the protective earth.
This is in the UK and Europe, regulations may be different in other countries.

Mike
I had not considered connecting the a/c to any chassis as the AIO unit has pv in, ac inverter and shore power in as well as battery. I was planning to use the bus bars for the battery +/- to bus bars and the aio instead of going to battery go to bus bars and 12v go to bus bars but then also going from the (-) BUS to chassis. Does this sound correct?

edit: the ac in and out I was going to put the 3 wires of each to the AIO

I had not considered connecting the a/c to any chassis as the AIO unit has pv in, ac inverter and shore power in as well as battery. I was planning to use the bus bars for the battery +/- to bus bars and the aio instead of going to battery go to bus bars and 12v go to bus bars but then also going from the (-) BUS to chassis. Does this sound correct?

edit: the ac in and out I was going to put the 3 wires of each to the AIO
Yes

Back