diy solar

diy solar

AIO vs. Pre-Wired System: Selection and Design help for my little off grid cabin

Yeah, basically this. Your other points are really good too, but this one sums my thoughts up nicely.

Yeah, given that info, I'd go with a dedicated components. You can show up at the place, kick on the AC inverter and should be good to go.

With an all in one, my concern would be the idle consumption would kill the battery in the off season between visits. You'd show up on site and have a dead batt.

It's also worth pointing out that with discreet components you can repair, replace, upgrade components individually and not be forced to take the entire thing out for commission for a failure.
@400bird and @Bluedog225 I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go with a pre-wired system. JUST WHICH ONE??? Now if this forum only had a thread on comparisons of those systems I‘d have a big smile on my face. If any you out there have experience with one of these pre-wired systems I’d love to hear about them. Some like the Outback system I showed are just outback component, but as Bluedog225 pointed out, AltE and others put them together from different manufacturer components. If someone has expertise in any of these PLEASE add your two cents.

What are your needs? Have you done an energy audit? Do you have any large motors to run (well pump?)

Do you want remote monitoring? That's probably a dumb question, I'll bet there's no internet there.

I'm sure there's more details to differentiate they systems. I likey Schneider gear, but they don't provide great support. I'd probably go with all Outback if it meets your needs.

I think you will need to dig in a bit. What are your inputs, outputs, and operating conditions. Then bump your specs up a bit, say 20%, and pick the components you want. Schneider, Midnite, Victron, etc are all tier 1.

What are your needs? Have you done an energy audit? Do you have any large motors to run (well pump?)

Do you want remote monitoring? That's probably a dumb question, I'll bet there's no internet there.

I'm sure there's more details to differentiate they systems. I likey Schneider gear, but they don't provide great support. I'd probably go with all Outback if it meets your needs.
400bird and @Bluedog225, as my initial note said: “I did an energy needs calc. 4 of the bifacials noted above (have a link to them above) will be more than ample for my current/future needs (1560 W).” Also a 3000w inverter will meet my needs. And with respect to remote monitoring, I want it and can get internet through remote towers (my neighbors from a 1/2 mile away have it) once I have power.

So I need some input on which prewired system (like a complete Outback only system), a system made with Midnite and Schneider Electric, or Midnite and Magnum components (examples that AltE assembles) are best and why.

You are going to need to do some research at this point. This place is pretty good with specific questions.

Good luck.

e.g.:

@Hopitrout, do you need the system active in the winter when you don't have access to the property? Will the batteries just be disconnected from all equipment such that the cold isn't an issue?

@Hopitrout, do you need the system active in the winter when you don't have access to the property? Will the batteries just be disconnected from all equipment such that the cold isn't an issue?
ejflur: In an ideal world I’d have internet and security/game cameras in the winter, but that is not a need, just a want. If we got a “warm” say 20F night, I’d love to be able to go in on snowmobiles and spend a night, but that would be rare (I have zero insulation in my exposed roof and I’m not changing that). So what I was hoping for was a system where the MPPT charger could keep working and possibly shut the inverter down and run the internet and cameras on DC. All that said, my panel’s ground mount system will be designed and built to keep the snow off moat of the time. That I am sure of.

ejflur: In an ideal world I’d have internet and security/game cameras in the winter, but that is not a need, just a want. If we got a “warm” say 20F night, I’d love to be able to go in on snowmobiles and spend a night, but that would be rare (I have zero insulation in my exposed roof and I’m not changing that). So what I was hoping for was a system where the MPPT charger could keep working and possibly shut the inverter down and run the internet and cameras on DC. All that said, my panel’s ground mount system will be designed and built to keep the snow off moat of the time. That I am sure of.
This is exactly what we do. MPPT stays on, but the inverter is in standby all winter. All DC loads are turned off. The heated, insulated battery box keep the system ready to go if someone gets the ambition to ski or snowmobile in to the cabin. If we wanted to add some cameras and internet (we are actually considering internet right now) it would be easy if we can find a DC one.

Back