diy solar

diy solar

Airstream Build in Progress

stewchi

My build is in progress. I have a 23' trailer my build is 200AH of LiFePo batteries, 400W roof top solar (with 200W more planed as portable PV). I am using the Victron eco system Mppt 100/30, (for roof pv), IP 22 charger and BMV 712 for monitoring and adding 30A progressive industries EMS. The pre existing stock setup has a 1000W inverter which meets my needs, and a 55Amp converter which I am adding a switch to keep powered off most of the time. The camper has ports and wires (Zamp SAE, 10G) on the roof and A-frame already. I am trying to preserve as much of the stock system as possible while removing the SLAs and adding the panels Victrons equip.
For Batteries I chose 2 Ampere Time 100AH because of the physical dimensions, I wanted 2 vs 1 larger one in case of a failure of one. Once installed I will evaluate usage and add more if needed. I chose Ampere Time because I could see the insides from Will's video and they are much cheaper than most.
For Panels I went with 8 Renogy 50W flex panels. These are the only flex panels that fit the dimensions of my roof space that I could get in time for my trip in July. They will be wired as 2 sets of 4 panels in series. The Zamp roof cap wires each plug in parallel with a 30A breaker built in. I went with Flex panels for the weight and ease of install. I will be installing T-Tracks on the roof using 3M 4991 VHB and SilkaFlex and bolting the 3lb panels to the T-Track. I will be disconnecting the 7Pin charge wire (probably put a switch on it) so I don't have to worry about the alternator. I also have a 2500W generator that can run the AC or charge the batteries if needed.
Build is coming along. Camper is in the shop getting body work repair from a blow out last month so I am bench testing every thing. Panels flat on the ground at 12:30 in full sun are producing 335 Watts. I have the Victron equip all networked and and configured on the app (which I love). The IP22 gets pretty warm when its pushing 29A. Batteries seem to have a resting voltage around 13.7V when fully charged and disconnected. I am building the larger cables (2/0 and 4awg) using a hammer crimper in a vice which is working really well. 2/0 is over sized for the batteries and buss connections (for my load) but I already had 30ft of welding leads someone gave me years ago. I have learned so much on this site and from the you tube channel. I can't wait to start installing into the camper hopefully next week.

IMG_1111.JPEGIMG_1115.JPEG

Looks great! We just went on our second trip with a 280 AH EVE DIY battery with a 120AH BMS; I added the same Victron shunt, a DC DC charger; the same SCC you have, and a 1200 W inverter. I used the same bus bars you have. I added a battery cutoff to the main negative from the battery and a 150 Amp T fuse on the positive side. I also ran the Victon sensor and the jack connection directly to the positive side of the battery. I've posted the wiring diagram in the Mobile Installation Forum if you are interested. It was quite a tight installation inside the front couch base; i wish I could have used the board you have . . . .

We run our system off ground based panels (2x100 right now, but we have 4x100 if we want). Our Airstream is a 2005 and the power it uses is pretty limited 1-2 Amps per hour (we don't use the inverter to power anything on the rig; it's just a stand alone plug). so our battery is perfect and the 200 W topped off the battery by 2:00 p.m. I love being able to see the power use with the Victron App. So far, we're loving it. See you down the road.

Looks great! We just went on our second trip with a 280 AH EVE DIY battery with a 120AH BMS; I added the same Victron shunt, a DC DC charger; the same SCC you have, and a 1200 W inverter. I used the same bus bars you have. I added a battery cutoff to the main negative from the battery and a 150 Amp T fuse on the positive side. I also ran the Victon sensor and the jack connection directly to the positive side of the battery. I've posted the wiring diagram in the Mobile Installation Forum if you are interested. It was quite a tight installation inside the front couch base; i wish I could have used the board you have . . . .

We run our system off ground based panels (2x100 right now, but we have 4x100 if we want). Our Airstream is a 2005 and the power it uses is pretty limited 1-2 Amps per hour (we don't use the inverter to power anything on the rig; it's just a stand alone plug). so our battery is perfect and the 200 W topped off the battery by 2:00 p.m. I love being able to see the power use with the Victron App. So far, we're loving it. See you down the road.
Sounds awesome, I have only used the inverter a few times. Battery is mainly for lights (all LED) furnace blower and the various controls. I have a main cut off too but I didn't install it on the mock up yet. I guessing it will be tight too but on paper it fits LOL.

My wife used the inverter to blow dry her hair yesterday for 10 minutes; minimal temp increase on the BMS and battery and seems like the wiring worked great . . . I'm planning to use my inverter mostly for my laptop; monitor; and charging misc. phones and ipads when i'm working from the Airstream off grid.

Outside of the A/C and microwave, if i turn everything on, the entire AS only draws about 20 amps total (including all lights, radio, fans, heater, water pump, and fridge on propane).

Back